View Poll Results: Should nudes be allowed in Portrait threads ?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

93 52.54%
  • No

84 47.46%
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Should nudes be allowed in Portrait threads?

Should nudes be allowed in Portrait threads?

Should we allow nudes in the Portraits thread ?

Re: Should nudes be allowed in the Portraits thread?

I don't think the costuming or lack thereof changes the subject of the image.

If it's a portrait, it's a portrait.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I don't know if we should use Model Mayhem as a bastion of good sense, but in their forums you are not allowed to post nude images directly into any thread but you are allowed to provide a link with a 18+ warning. I think that would make sense for threads that are not explicitly NSFW.

It is also worth bearing in mind that some websites can be blocked by educational or government institutions if they feature nudity. That could mean that all the accumulated knowledge on this forum could be hidden from student photographers, which would be a very bad thing IMO.

Is there a PHP script that could hide images unless you specifically clicked on something, if they are marked as "NSFW"?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

And to specifically respond to the immediate question:

I believe all nude images should stay in the Nude thread (or the Small Format Nude thread that was made). There are a myriad number of reasons that one would be looking at this site and not want to be surprised at a nude- at a public library, at the airport, on your phone at any time, at home with your family, at your office (on break, of course), at school, etc.

I've mentioned it several times but was derided for it. But let's use common sense. The blanket response was "you shouldn't be browsing the forum at work!" but that is not the only public place one looks at the computer! And this forum is not a "museum." When you are viewing images in a museum, everyone there understands where they are and there is no expectation of nudity being censored. We are on the internet, and I'm sure most of you know the Broadway tune describing what that means. Let's not make users have to answer embarrassing questions. Yes, most of the nudes are innocuous, but frankly some of them, especially in the Alt. Process thread, are not.

Corran,
    I hadn't even read most of the other threads, I just answered the question. I don't attack people for their beliefs, I was being flippant. It's still no problem to me. Has anybody bothered to moan about nudes in the Alternitave Processes thread? Can't see a problem there either!
    Pete.

as long as they're not of frank petrino.

Fair enough.

Personally I stopped opening the Alt. Process thread in public because I knew what it likely had in it. I love the portrait threads so I'd hate to do the same with that. There'd be the same discussion if the landscape thread suddenly had a nude (within a landscape...).

Plus, come on, all nudes are portraits, but not all portraits are nudes, so shouldn't we just categorize these photos in the most relevant thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    And to specifically respond to the immediate question:

I believe all nude images should stay in the Nude thread (or the Small Format Nude thread that was made). There are a myriad number of reasons that one would be looking at this site and not want to be surprised at a nude- at a public library, at the airport, on your phone at any time, at home with your family, at your office (on break, of course), at school, etc.

I've mentioned it several times but was derided for it. But let's use common sense. The blanket response was "you shouldn't be browsing the forum at work!" but that is not the only public place one looks at the computer! And this forum is not a "museum." When you are viewing images in a museum, everyone there understands where they are and there is no expectation of nudity being censored. We are on the internet, and I'm sure most of you know the Broadway tune describing what that means. Let's not make users have to answer embarrassing questions. Yes, most of the nudes are innocuous, but frankly some of them, especially in the Alt. Process thread, are not.
    I think Corran summarized it very well. While I personally have no problem with nudes being posted in various threads, I respect the desire of some to be fore-warned about what will appear on their screen. Just as I support accurate food labeling so that the consumer can choose whether or not to purchase an item, I believe in accurate "thread labeling" so that a viewer can choose to visit the thread or not. By restricting the posting of nudes to the "Nudes" thread (or its counterpart in the small formats area) we are not censoring anyone, since they can still post, we are merely restricting the posts to a well-labeled area which anyone can choose to visit or avoid.

How about simply starting a Nude Portrait thread?