Thread: Graphic Kowa 305 Question

Graphic Kowa 305 Question

I have a Graphic Kowa 305mm F:9 in a barrel that I used for an enlarger lens a few years ago. I've been thinking about selling it but have been reading some good comments about the 210 Graphic Kowa and am now wondering if I should consider having it put in a shutter and using it on my 8x10. I have a 300mm Ektar that I like but I thinking this Kowa may be sharper and more contrasty.

Any suggestions?

John Youngblood

Re: Graphic Kowa 305 Question

If both cells can unscrew from the barrel, then they should be a direct fit into a copal 3s shutter. It definitely will be a sharp lens and great coverage for an 8x10 plus. Jon

Big Bend

I have a 360 kowa in shutter and a 305 in barrel. I was able to try the 305 in the 360 shutter and found it to be much to my liking. So much so that I'm in the process of getting a shutter for my 305.

I can not compare it directly to a 300 Ektar however, but I've heard lots of good things about Ektar especially if you have an older many bladed shutter that provides a nice round aperture.

Copal 3s shutters are a little bit on the uncommon side, but I know there is at least one more member on this site with one laying around. I suggest you run a WTB ad here for the shutter.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I happen to have a copal 3s which has a Goerz 9 1/2" 6.8 mounted. When I took those elements off the Kowa's elements didn't quite match the threads, though, so some adaptation appears to be needed. The Kowa is not technically in a barrel but a housing that has apertures and a mount for enlarger usage.

I'm don't want to disable the Goerz but it would be useful to try out the Kowa. Maybe its a project for the Grimes people. I'm encouraged to see what it can do, one way or the other, so thanks again...

JY

I'm guessing your Dagor is in a Copal 3 (no s). Can you arrange to try your cells iin a known 3s?

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong on the first try, but when I tried again this morning the front and back elements fit perfectly into the copal 3s that I borrowed from a Dagor 9.5". I was very curious to see if it would work so I took a few shots on the way to a jam in a neighboring community (see attachments).

The lens performed quite well, the negs look very sharp under the loupe, and there was good contrast in the highlights and shadows (excuse these scans...)

This lens I bought in 1995 to use on an Elwood enlarger. Now, thanks to the kind and intelligent people on this forum, I have another useful tool in the arsenal. Thanks Joe, Jon, and Ernest.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    I'm not sure what I was doing wrong on the first try, but when I tried again this morning the front and back elements fit perfectly into the copal 3s that I borrowed from a Dagor 9.5". I was very curious to see if it would work so I took a few shots on the way to a jam in a neighboring community (see attachments).

The lens performed quite well, the negs look very sharp under the loupe, and there was good contrast in the highlights and shadows (excuse these scans...)

This lens I bought in 1995 to use on an Elwood enlarger. Now, thanks to the kind and intelligent people on this forum, I have another useful tool in the arsenal. Thanks Joe, Jon, and Ernest.

John
    Beautiful results with the Kowa, I just got one and it has two flanges, how did you remove the back flange, does it just unscrew ?