Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Badlands & Black Hills

The Badlands & Black Hills

Several years ago, (BLF - before large format) I briefly visited the Badlands and Black Hills of South Dakota. I'm going back there in a couple of weeks with my big camera and plenty of film. I've got places to camp reserved and a rough draft of an itinerary. Does anyone have some specific suggestions of either place that I should try to photograph?

Re: The Badlands & Black Hills

Besides the Badlands, one of my favorite areas was in Spearfish Canyon west of Rapid City.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

The Black Hills are one of my favorite remote areas to explore by vehicle – or by foot.

The forest roads (improved & unimproved) are so many, and so endless, they diffuse driving visitors over a gigantic, beautiful area, promising a lot of solitude even if you’re on wheels.

The Black Hills are also ideally suited for cross-country hiking w/ map and compass.

Be sure to pick up a “Black Hills National Forest” road map (non-topo) from the USFS for driving, and I’d add, say, a 1:64,000 topo to the mix – and if you think it’s worth it, a few USGS quads for the greater detail of any smaller areas that might interest you.

Once you’re in the forest, I’d encourage you to just go (drive) where your instincts say. The LF images will find you no matter which direction you choose. At night, you can simply pitch your tent near your car – I’ve always avoided the designated campgrounds. Forested meadows w/ gurgling creeks and Blue-Winged Teal ponds are always close at hand. This is one of those special places that gives Paradise a run for its money.

Thanks Lenser. That does look interesting.

Good idea about the FS map.

Another possibility when you are done in the Black Hills....Devil's Tower is only about half a day away (just over 100 miles from Rapid City) in Northeastern Wyoming. It's an easy hike around the base with great forests and geology to shoot and the tower from a distance is incredible as is much of the river valley near the camp ground.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I almost forgot about the Needles Highway through the Black Hills. Incredible rock formations and vistas.

And if you are into touristy things, at the north end of the Badlands area is Wall Drug at Wall. SD. Something of a hoot.

The Beatles sang about the Black Hills, one of their late albums I think.

Something about a Romantic betrayal, the good guy doesn't get the girl back.

My memory of the 1960’s is too hazy to recall the song, but I hear a melody.

multiplex

when i was there i really enjoyed sylvan lake in custer state park.
    and if you like antique and classic cars ( like elvis' pink harly, a bmw isetta
    and an airplane hanger full of classic pinball machines ) pioneer auto village is a lot of fun
    its in murdo. have a nice trip, i kinda miss SD.