Thread: VueScan on Mac OS X

VueScan on Mac OS X

I have had much trouble with VueScan on a dual processor Mac running OS X (probably 10.2.8 at that time). There is much to like conceptually in this software. VueScan certainly has all the right tools built in (the developer actually listens to the users.. what a concept!).

I am interested in hearing from Mac OS users who are successfully using VueScan in Mac OS X. If it is running properly what is your hardware configuration? Which version of OS X are you using?

VueScan on Mac OS X

You should post this in the digital darkroom forum at www.photo.net or at the usenet newsgroup comp.periphs.scanners.

VueScan on Mac OS X

Mark,

I run VueScan in a dual processor Mac with no problems. The specs of the machine and of the version of VueScan I am running follow:

Dual 867 Processor G4 1 MB L3 cache per processor

1.25 GB DDR SDRAM

PowerLook III Scanner on theSCSI bus with a n Adaptec 2930 CU card

Two internal hard drives, 1 60MB and 1 40 MB and one external Firewire HD

GeForce4 MX video card driving a 19" LaCie Silicon Blue monitor

Version 8.0.2 of VueScan

The most likely potential problem is that you are not running the most current version of VueScan. Ed updated the software sometime in the past 4-6 months so that it works with OS 10.3.x. I recall that I was having a problem or two, nothing major, with VueScan after I loaded Panter some six months ago. Since I loaded the verision I am now running all is running smooth as silk and I have not had any problems. If you are running the version I am running or a later version then let me know your specific configuration in email and I will see if I cna help you trouble shoot.

Mike Lewis

VueScan on Mac OS X

Mark,

I also run VueScan on a Power Mac with no problems. My setup:

Apple Power Mac dual 867 MHz G4, Mac OS X 10.2.8

2GB RAM

2 IDE drives; 60 and 120 GB

Adaptec 2930CU SCSI card

Microtek Artixscan 4500t (for 4x5) and Acer ScanWit 2720S (for 35mm) scanners on the SCSI bus.

Vuescan 7.6.75

I don't recall any major problems with this setup for scanning. Output file from a 48-bit 4x5 scan on the Artixscan is about 650MB. My major problem has been disk bandwidth when using Photoshop. I would dearly love to have a SCSI U320 controller and disk for PS swap.
    Mike Lewis
    mikelewisimages.com

VueScan on Mac OS X

I also use viewscan on a mac

Dual 1.25 G4

OS X 10.3.4

2GB ram

HP ScanJet 5370C (USB)

Viewscan 7.6.64

Works fine, but I do have a vague recollection that I had some problems when I first set it up. I think it had to do with viewscan trying to save the images into a directory where it didn't have write permission. But this was a year ago or so, I don't remember exactly what the problem was.

VueScan on Mac OS X

Using the latest viewscan (downloaded last night) on OSX 10.3.4 running on a G4 (though not the duel processer model). TO make it work I had to dump the scanner drivers (epson 3200) and trash them or put them into another folder. Have also ended up reloading viewscan a few times to restore the default settings as these seem to work the best (for me of limited scanning experience).

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

VueScan on Mac OS X

Maybe it would be useful to describe your troubles in detail ? I've had no real problems with my LS 4000 under 10.3. Under 10.1, after a day of idle time, I had to reboot, and then it would be OK. This was with several (older) versions of Vuescan.

VueScan on Mac OS X

Well I imagine you all can see the egg dripping out of my beard: I downloaded the current version of VueScan (8.x) just after posting the original request for help and it's great! The versions I was trying to use before were ~7.2-7.6 and I had no end of trouble. With the new version it is clear Hamrick has Mac OS X firmly in mind. I still can't get over how incredibly prolific he is.

For those who were asking I have a dual 1 GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 10.3.4, a Nikon 8000 and a Powerlook III. One thing that changed besides the OS upgrades is I went from NikonScan 3.x to 4.x. Maybe NikonScan 3 was interfering? Dunno, but I doubt I'll be using NikonScan much now.

Anyone using noise reduction software that they like? I am fooling around with Noise Ninja and wishing Neat Image were ready for Mac.