Thread: Do you like dye-sublimation printers?

Do you like dye-sublimation printers?

What has your experience been with dye-sublimation printers? I have yet to see output from one but would like to find something better than the ink-jet. Does this system come close to photo-paper prints?

several years ago the company I worked for at the time sold dye-sub printers for proofing systems to the printing trade and I have installed several. These I installed were Agfa's units. If I remember correctly they had their own rip computer also. They were very expensive to purchase and very expensive to operate (supplies) and the prints while they looked very good (better than inkjet, IMO) did not last a long time. This is old info (maybe 5/6 years old) and things may have changed for the better. My money would be on one of the larger Epsons. 7600 or larger.

leec

I have been using a Olympus P-400 dye sub printer for about a year now and am very happy with the results. I have not tried the new mat finish but I would think it would be perfect for events, etc. I knew several photogs that went out and bought 2 P-400's to use at events and proms as soon as they came out. Last I heard they were very happy with the results. The fact that they could walk away from the event with all pics delivered and no follow up paperwork or time needed was worth 10 times the printers cost. As for as an individual using them they will produce a print that rivels a silver print. My 2¢...

the kodak 8650 is a pretty nice little dye sub printer...same goes for fuji pictro printers--although they're not really dye sub--more of a diffusion transfer type printer. kinda limited to 8x10 or smaller output though, but the larger pictro is like a 11x14 to 12x18 type size.

btw--the prints look really good, but personally I don't think they "rival a silver print" as far as longevity goes. we've used pictros at work for a few years on & off for digital output of certain files for exhibitry--and these have shifted on display in rather short periods of time--even faster than some inkjets. I like the durability of the print though as far as handling goes. At work--we came very close to getting a Pintro printer back when they cost about $10,000--yet lost the money in a budget crunch. Now the printers cost just under 5 grand. But within this time, Frontier type printers have become so widespread in local labs--that's it's actually cheaper to just send those files out. In my opinion--a print on Crystal Archive is much superior to these dyes subs and other prints like inkjets. With Lightjets or Lambdas for the larger sizes, and Noritsu & Fuji printers for the smaller--in the longrun, I think these are better options. there is another office nearby though that has an 8650, and these seem to be a good alternative to a pictro, in that the media is cheaper and can be switched out between surfaces easier. the prints I've seen off this are pretty good coming off digital slrs. look like a lightweight c-print. hope this helps.