Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutter-Speed-Tester for the iPhone

Re: Shutter-Speed-Tester for the iPhone

Looks like a great idea, well done for bringing this to market.

I was thinking though, given the iPhone already has a device capable of detecting light (the camera) can the app not be programmed to use that instead of the additional sensor?

I thought about this at the beginning, but unfortunately it is not possible. The camera has a limited frame rate (about 30fps), so the theoretical fastest speed that could be measured would be 1/30s.

I ordered one of the light sensors, and I'll buy and try the app when the sensor arrives.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Of course, duh!

I like your app and am glad I did not buy all the other shutter testers over the years.

I think many of us have pretty good ears for the slower speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    I thought about this at the beginning, but unfortunately it is not possible. The camera has a limited frame rate (about 30fps), so the theoretical fastest speed that could be measured would be 1/30s.
    Tin Can

Name: ______William Booth

Thanks for this... I purchased the app and will be ordering the photo-plug soon. I had a freeze the first time I attempted a recording and had to quit the app from task switcher on an iPhone 5. If it helps, my status bar turned red, indicating a recording (which I see it doesn't do when it works correctly), and the recording spinner just went on and on, although the timer never moved. I also have a feature request. I will use this to test my shutters, but I would also like to use it to check my bulb exposure timings. So for instance, I would like to be able to adjust the duration of the recording up to, say, 10 seconds, so I can check my accuracy on a 5-second bulb exposure.

Thanks for the app. I think you will find that there are more than a couple members here who will purchase it.

The phototransistor-plugs are available again !
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shutter-Spee...item3a825152b0

Yes, I will keep your suggestion to enable longer recording times in mind.

I bought and have been trying out the app on my I-Phone (it's an early version 3G phone ... so later versions may vary.)

App works well and is quite easy to use after a few tries. I have four different versions of home shutter testers and this is by far the most convenient to use ... especially with the on-phone recording of readings and stop adjustments. Well worth the cost.

I tested it on a shutter I had professionally tested and it was right on up through 1/60. I had trouble discerning the exact open-close peaks at any higher speeds.

But I've had problems at higher speeds with all four testers I have.

I have ordered the photo transistor plug ... so I'm looking forward to measuring using light rather than sound. One quirk of a couple of photo transistor testers I have is that they seem to require a specific light level to be accurate so I'm curious to see if that is an issue with this system.

Lukas,

I have the app and like it very much. It would be very helpful to me if in a future update you could provide the option to read shutter speeds in milliseconds instead of deviation from a chosen speed. That would be more convenient and more in line with what shutter speed readouts normally are.

Best,

Doremus

Just received the plug in light sensor.

Checking a reliable Pentax at 1/30 yielded 1/33.6.

Then using a LED flashlight 1/250 was 1/189th.

Isn't 20% considered the standard?

Aimed it a fluorescent lamp and it can read the AC sine wave!

Thanks Lukas!
    Tin Can

Randy ... curious to know how the speeds measured by sound and then by light compare.