Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: c41 uneven development?

c41 uneven development?

My own attempts at developing c41 weren't going very well so I decided to send the last batch out again. Am I expecting too much or is there some other issue here? Looks like some form of uneven development to me. I applied a very heavy curves adjustment layer to make the marks more visible. But I do feel it can be subtly spotted in blue skies. The marks also show up more the more I edit the photo. I can even see the marks on the straight conversion with no editing.

On Portra 400 scanned in with an Epson 4990 and converted from raw positive with colorperfect.

I am guessing I am expecting too much. But on another photo with just some smooth blue sky I could see a hint of the same marks and I felt I needed to cover it up with a gradient overlay masked in. I am not editing to the point of the second image but, to me, once the marks are visible, on any level, it's no good.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Re: c41 uneven development?

looks like there is insufficient agitation. probably during the bleach step.

agitation w/ c-41 is IMPERATIVE, seeing that the development time is very short compared to most b/w or the standard E-6 process.

I'd look at using a different lab, a place that gets LOTS of use. Labs don't stay in business if they continually screw up peoples orders.
    Edgar Praus ( http://www.4photolab.com/ ) does great C-41, and he stays very busy with mail-order clientele.

best of luck

-Dan

Yeah that is probably where I'll go next. Thanks for the info.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

If you plan on trying it at home again, use two water pre-soaks.

I had very bad unevenness in my initial C-41 attempts, until it was suggested to me to use two pre-soak water baths, instead of one.

The difference was immediately obvious and the unevenness disappeared.

DIY c-41 is extremely simple, and the cost savings can really add up if you shoot a good bit. You also get free pushes + pulls

Like Ari, I use (2) separate pre-soak baths BEFORE development.

I thought it was simple but my last batch looked quite poor as you can see from my previous thread. Though, these were lab processed and aren't 100% perfect either. Really unfortunate to shoot 4x5 (expensive c41 at that) and not see the quality you desire, for whatever reason. Will probably just send to Praus with my next batch.
    My website Flickr

Praus is good but LTI lightside is better. They have a proprietary "special process" c-41 line that really works. I used to send my film to Praus labs but now LTI gets all my business. I don't mind paying a bit extra if it means no more mottled skies.

Zaitz - I got mottled skies from my preferred lab too, which was the last straw that got me really interested in doing it myself. I agitate with a dip 'n' dunk type processing every 15 seconds with C-41. I haven't had any problems.

Your original thread with the totally destroyed negatives is a different problem and I'm not sure what happened there - looks like chemical contamination or something.

I use a Calumet water heater/pump to maintain a water bath at 101F, and 3 metal tanks with 2L of chemistry each for development.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I was using constant agitation because that is what Kodak's procedure calls for so that shouldn't be an issue for me. I usually don't have many photos at once so the BTZS tubes small volume seemed to work well but perhaps it's just not enough developer. I don't like saving up film over time to do a run so doing it myself probably isn't worth it if BTZS tubes don't work well. Will probably just send to Praus or LTI.
    My website Flickr

I did it in BTZS tubes for a little while but I got frustrated with the amount of time each individual sheet took.

Honestly using a 6-sheet holder alleviates my fear of shooting color film and it taking forever to develop or cost a ton. I'll shoot 6 sheets of E6 in an afternoon no problem now, rather than hording it and shooting sparingly.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome