Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1877 Anthony Imperial and Card Wetplate multiplying camera

Re: 1877 Anthony Imperial and Card Wetplate multiplying camera

No, not really. Thats probably more a dry plate holder, at least what I have been told, for "newer" century cameras.
    And it does not have the internal "infinity" adjustable plate holder, thingy, (sorry for that mess)

But I have used them for wet plate, and they do indeed work. =) Buit the wood might not survive year after year of use, but time will show...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Fascinating piece of equipment! If you use it for wet plate, I'd remove the original wood that holds the bottom of the plate and make a sacrificial substitute. It looks like it removes with a few screws, if it's not also glued in...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Oh my! I am literally drooling right now. I just saw one sell on the bay. I love this camera. So beautiful. I could stare at her all day! Thanks for posting this.

Good idea mark, I may do that to save the original wood. Thanks Primo, and now for....the rest of the story. I knew about this Camera for about the past 5 years, it was sitting up high on a shelf in a restaurant back East. Whenever I'd go home to NC I'd visit the old camera shop, who'd loaned it to the restaurant. But he'd never want to sell it, or even let me look at the lens, it was up in the rafters basically. So for 5 years I wondered - was it a Dallmeyer 3B or a good Voigtlander? Finally this summer things came together (after a very stressful series of miscommunications which is another story) and I was able to buy it. Before I climbed up to the ceiling to get it down, I told my wife, "that lens looks like a Voigtlander to me." Sure enough, when I climbed up and blew the dust off the barrel, it's a Voigt Petzval portrait. The owner said he had it in another restaurant for 30 years before the current one, which was at least 5 years. So it sat untouched since the late 70s. The lens is original to the camera. It's about ready to take another shot for the first time in half a century probably.

Garret, it might be a bit much to ask, but this is quite a rare opportunity, so I'm gonna ask.
    Is there anyway you would be willing to make a short video, showing how the different parts work, especially the plate holder, but also the camera ? I know I would love to see it on video, instead of "wondering" seeing the images. The part I'm most interested in, is how you set the height for the adjustable, I can see something that looks like a rail, but its not blatantly obvious to me how you actually adjust it up and down.
    Even if you don't have the opportunity to do it, I would like to thank you for showing us the pictures ! And congrats on getting your hands on this beautiful equipment !

Hi Taulen,
    The two bars above and below in my picture that shows the back of the plate are the moveable rails. Basically, you pull the little nickel pins out to unlock the rails, then manually move them apart to the desired height. I'm in a busy work period and doubt I'll be able to do a video right now.