Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bodie! Post your images!

Re: Bodie! Post your images!

When I was there quite a few years ago the ranger told me the last 3-4 miles of the road were intentionally left unpaved so as to slow down those visitors who think they are going to another Disneyland. Making them drive slower causes them to think (a least a little) about where they are headed and that there is a need to look out for one's self. The rangers don't want Bodie to become just another ten minute stop on a series of vacation shopping sites. I'll bet a lot of those kinds of people turn around because they don't want to be bothered with any inconvenience like having to drive 20-30 MPH for a few miles. I'm all for that.

I am with you on that, John. If leaving it unpaved keeps out the drive-by crowd, by all means, leave it unpaved. As is, I have seen Bodie so crowded people were parking along the road outside the entrance booth, as the parking lot was completely full.

That said, the final stretch to Bodie is like a interstate highway compared to the road to the Racetrack in Death Valley. That one will shake out your fillings. I have seen MANY flat tires and one punched oil pan from people driving way too fast along that nasty little road.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Great idea for a new thread Jim. I've been on the verge of going back to Bodie for the past couple of weeks but this time with the 8x10 in tow for some salt prints.

Great image Harley.

Thomas

Has Been LF Photographer

I've been there around New Years Day and it wasn't very crowded.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Merg, Nice windows. I' m glad they made it a state park or nothing would be left. I've been interested in the windows at Bodie for sometime now. While we were there the last time the park ranger told us someone broke a window. They think it was a vandal. They have to order replacement panes from Germany at a cost of $6,000 each. Wish I could have caught the person who did it.

Merg, I love the second window especially.

Thanks Jim. Have you been there in the winter, it can be very cold? One year my photo buddy and I were camped in my van and awoke to find ice in the interior! We were the only "tourists" in town and the ranger opened up the buildings for us to shoot interiors. I think he was glad to have company other than his seven yearold daughter who was on school break from Bridgeport. Is camping still allowed at the end of town?

Yes, we are fortunate that the place has been preserved, along with similar efforts at Mono Lake.

Preston Birdwell

Lovely work, gents. Here's one from July of last year when Harley and I were wandering around on a very warm and bright day.

Chamonix 045N-2
    Fujinon 180mm
    Astia 100

--P
    Last edited by Preston; 16-Jun-2013 at 09:15. Reason: Wrong lens-fixed.
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Preston, beautiful!! You are Harley are giving me ideas! When we were up there on Memorial day weekend some of the volunteers dressed up in period attire and were king enough to sit for portraits. My negs are a bit thin and I had to make some special tissue in order to print them. ( that whole carbon transfer thing you know). We found out that two of the people were board members from the Friends of Bodie. The ranger R.G. Randar was very nice and helpful and was glad to have photographers using old big cameras. Daniel, Robert and Randy were shooting plates and Matt Stage and I were shooting film. To my surprise wet plate in the park was no problem.

Merg, I don't think they allow camping near the park but you know I never asked but I will now and yes I've been there in the winter when it is as I like to say "butt ass cold!"

I'm hoping that over time they may open up the buildings for us. I have a plan and once I show/donate some prints maybe they will change their mind.

Preston, beautiful image!

Jim and Merg, you can drive off on the side roads (kind of north or south, the back ways into the park) and camp pretty much where you want once you are on Forest Service land. There are some real scenic spots to the north heading toward Bridgeport. The route toward Mono is far less scenic.

Jim, if you can gain access for some big camera guys (assuming you consider 4x5 big), I would love to tag along if you had space and wanted tag alongers.

Cool, never been there, never will. I respect the treasure Bodie is in your images. I hate myself when I am a tourist.

I think most of the West should have terrible or no roads to keep LA and me out.

My last 'fun' road was the back way into Black Rock City, 2000. My Honda Civic had brand new Michelins and I had to drive like I haven't in 30 years. 100 miles of nobody, loved it. Then wacko Burning Man.

I have never had a 4-wheel drive as I know I will get stuck so far in, nobody will ever get me out. I once walked 25 miles out of the Mohave in January. Stuck 2X4 pickup truck.

Keep those images coming!
    Tin Can