Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Than a Bit Disturbing..

More Than a Bit Disturbing..

Reading a recent discussion of a group of painters and those art academics who continue to look down on photography is NOT art...

Could this be due to their lack of understanding that art expression can come in numerous ways, or could this be simply due to the belief their art form (painting) is superior in some way to expressive images made by "mechanical means" or the art world economic pie is is only large enough for painters who are the "real artist", or could this simply be a battle of art egos..

Regardless, art is a very important aspect of humanity and has the ability to enrich the human condition in very special ways. This should not be reduced to a question of what is art expression and what is not as art comes in many, many forms and ways.

The expression of the human condition and sharing of one's sensitivity to the human condition is what really matters regardless the art form used.

What is sad, the lack of art appreciation among too many members of society and the value they put on what is art.

Bernice

Re: More Than a Bit Disturbing..

It's not as disturbing as really bad domestic violence or children dying in Africa with aids, or channel surfing basic network TV any given evening.

I think your concern is a matter of tradition of doing things by hand. Its equally disturbing to me that people still consider digital photography to not be photography. I don't want to veer off into a religious discussion, but tradition and truth are very often two disparate things.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Its equally disturbing to me that people still consider digital photography to not be photography.
    Guilty as charged...

I consider digital to be photography less and less every day I use it...and I have been using it professionally full time for nearly 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Reading a recent discussion of a group of painters and those art academics who continue to look down on photography is NOT art...

Could this be due to their lack of understanding that art expression can come in numerous ways, or could this be simply due to the belief their art form (painting) is superior in some way to expressive images made by "mechanical means" or the art world economic pie is is only large enough for painters who are the "real artist", or could this simply be a battle of art egos..

Regardless, art is a very important aspect of humanity and has the ability to enrich the human condition in very special ways. This should not be reduced to a question of what is art expression and what is not as art comes in many, many forms and ways.

The expression of the human condition and sharing of one's sensitivity to the human condition is what really matters regardless the art form used.

What is sad, the lack of art appreciation among too many members of society and the value they put on what is art.

Bernice
    Simple narcissism.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    ...a group of painters and those art academics who continue to look down on photography is NOT art...
    and how does that affect your photographing?

I'm pretty sure whether photography is or is not 'art' isn't going to stop any of us from burning film

let 'em talk... they are probably still pissed photographers took 'Portraits' away from them years ago

Pretty broad brush strokes there, pun intended. My mother has been a professional oil painter for decades and loves the "art" of photography, does not share these same views of photography not being called art nor do most real people who opt to live real life instead of pontificating on the internet.

Frankly, I think painters are lucky in that they went through the transition period long before garbage digital and the super-garbage internet came along.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    and how does that affect your photographing?

I'm pretty sure whether photography is or is not 'art' isn't going to stop any of us from burning film

let 'em talk... they are probably still pissed photographers took 'Portraits' away from them years ago

multiplex

i think this has been going on since 1839 ...

Drew Wiley

Pretty silly. Lithographs, serigraphs, and all kinds of other mechanically-produced things have long been considered mainstream. Look what people will pay for some
    of these machine-made polka-dot murals or worse. But really, who cares? There will still be lots of mediocre paintings being done, along with mediocre photographs.
    I dislike most inkjet photography simply because that's the way most junky images are reproduced nowadays; but in principle it's no different from when most junky
    images were printed in darkrooms or traditional labs. I'll take those little-league academics seriously once they can make an image halfway as good as I can.
    Just pesky mosquitos who don't even belong in the room. Like much of the so-called art world, they too operate on a bluff. Once they have to show their hand,
    they generally fold.

Hi Bernice,

This is all marketing hype.

In order to separate customers from their money, you must create the appearance of value.
    One of the fundamental techniques is to assert an element of uniqueness to the product.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have been shooting film for about 45yrs now. I still shoot film, but all in 4x5. I do shoot digital when I cannot use a LF. Try shooting a flying bumble bee with LF. It’s difficult with digital. Why do I not use 35mm, because it’s cheaper with digital. The thing I really like about digital is when it’s time to dodge, burn and spotting….especially spotting.

The thing that get me about these art painter purest is they will paint from photos. To me that smells a little of hypocrisy.

Is not music art, is not ballet, how about poetry, a sculptor or pottery or glass blowing?