Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ektar Suggestions

Ektar Suggestions

I am about to search for an Ektar lens, 10, 12 or 14 inch , to use on my Calumet C1 camera. I'm seeking advise on what to look for when searching. Aside from the usual defects such as heavy cleaning marks, cloudiness, and separation, what should I avoid when looking for an Ektar? I see prices from four hundred to a thousand bucks and some of the lower priced lenses don't look bad. But the real pretty ones in the nice original wood boxes are attractive. I usually go for the clean stuff. I'm also curious about the portrait Ektar compared to the commercial.( I think keh has a 305).

Re: Ektar Suggestions

It's more often the shutters that are problems rather than the lenses. The large ACMEs are always slow and can be expensive.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The Kodak Portrait Lens is a completely different lens than the Commercial Ektar. The KPL is a simple meniscus doublet used for soft focus work, where the CE is a sharp Tessar. The single coatings on these are rather soft and easily damaged, but that has little effect on the results.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Three basic types of Kodak Ektar lenses for 4x5 and larger sheet film.

f6.3 Commercial Ektar, typically found in 8 1/2", 10", 12" and 14" focal lengths. Earliest examples were Eastman Anastigmat, pre-WW-II not coated, Coating ( Magnesium fluoride coated, 'Lumenized' )began some time post WW-II initially internally between lens elements and eventually externally. They are quite consistent in image quality, and even more so for post WW-II production unless something bad has happened to the specific lens.

There was also a f 4.5 Ektar in 152mm, 7 1/2" and 12", maybe others. These were basically the same as a Commercial Ektar except for the larger aperture.

Portrait Ektar, soft focus in 12" and 16" f4.8. The 12" in barrel had a slightly larger aperture# than in shutter.

Pretty and clean alone should not be the deciding factor in Ektar ownership as many of these have cleaning marks due to the soft coating/glass and abusive cleaning. Keep in mind the majority of these Ektars were used hard daily to produce many, many images. The Ilex shutters used on more than a few Kodak Ektars were not standard threaded or size shutters, they were made for Kodak, but the internals are pretty much the same as production Ilex shutters.

Due to the problems of shutter accuracy and reliability, I prefer them in barrel and use them with a Sinar shutter. They are can be found re-mounted in copal and other modern shutters.

Bernice

There's also the 203mm f:7.7 Ektar, a Dialyt type which works very well over a wide range of reproduction ratios. Covers 5x7 with movements, single coated.

A small light sharp little gem.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

There are also the wide field Ektars. I am not sure of the complete range but I have owned the 100mm and 135mm and still have the 250mm in an Ilex 5. Wonderful lens for 8X10.

'Ektar' does not indicate a specific lens design, but signifies Kodak's best. Which was pretty good. There are details on the front page of this site, and also see http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/KodakTech3.htm for a look at the many Ektar lenses. I think a 10" CE will have minimal coverage on 8x10, though.

Big Negs Rock!

Hello John, I have a 12" f/6.3 with a very small scratch near the edge of the front element. It has the bubbles in the glass typical of these lenses. The shutter seems to work quite well, but I haven't timed it. I've had it for years and never have used it since I have other lenses that work quite nicely for me in the same focal length. I'd love to sell to someone who would give it a good home.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I have two Ektars in my 8x10 kit---the 14" Commercial Ektar and the 10" 250mm Wide Field Ektar. Aside from the usual defects you've already mentioned, I'd be concerned about the condition of the shutter of course. And if the lenses you're looking at come with their slip on filter adopters that would be worth a higher price as most do not and the large slip on adopters are hard to find. Mine didn't so I use the Lee 4"x4" gel snap system for Lee polyester filters, which I put in Calumet cardboard holders to help longevity. Also I find that the Ilex No. 5 Universal shutters require a longer than usual throw cable release to fire and I've had very good luck using Gepe Pro cable releases on my Ilex No. 5 Universals.
    In cost, both my 8x10 Ektars were on the cheaper side of the price spread, and both perform very, very well indeed
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm listening. My choice will be between a 12" and 14" commercial. I'm glad the filter issue was mentioned. I've managed to put together a wonderful collection of Harrison glass filters in diffusion and black dot sets of five that have given me wonderful results on 4X5. I'll just have to figure out how to mount my Lindahl bellow shade onto an Ektar lens. Lindahl must have made an adapter for the Ektar. Then there is the issue of a lens board for the C1. I see wood boards for sale everywhere but I want metal. Maybe Calumet has new metal boards.