Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple camera building questions

A couple camera building questions

I'm well into this 8x10 project and am now assembling the back. I've read the couple of threads that come up but.......
    I have 300 Series SS Feeler Thickness Gauge 12" Length, .031" Thick from Mcmaster Carr to use for springs. I plan to double them up. I only bought four so I don't want to screw this up (I'll order more when I screw these up). http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2272/=n5doci
    1. What's the best way to bend the ends to fit over the pins in the ground glass frame? In a vise? Do I need heat? Will heat discolor the steel?

2. How much wiggle room should I leave in the back above/below the holder? My chamonix 4x5 and my old 8x10 had what I thought was too much resulting in what I call a sloppy fit. All my 8x10 holders are very similar, size-wise.

3. what do you guys use for pins (stainless) in the ground glass frame to catch the springs?

Re: A couple camera building questions

Do not use heat, you will likely aneal the metal and that does not make for a good spring.
    Stainless steel type 304 starts to turn yellow at around 300c and finally blue at 600c, 316 is very similar.

I've used these https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/item?i...65958653&rd=vi if your attempt doesn't work. No need for the leaf. For shackles I've eased some pins I found at true value hardware and attached with a tiny cable holder that is u shaped with two screw holes on each end.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I have 300 Series SS Feeler Thickness Gauge 12" Length, .031" Thick from Mcmaster Carr to use for springs.
    Feeler gauges are not springs.

If you want springs, buy spring stock.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Feeler gauges are not springs.

If you want springs, buy spring stock.

- Leigh
    correct, I read elsewhere that they work great on cameras and they ARE quite springy. Two other cameras I've owned which did use spring steel also did not hold the back tight to the camera in all four corners.
    Now, can anyone answer my question?

I used 1/8" type 304 stainless rod from mcmaster carr for the pins, it was less than 10 bucks for 6 feet!
    I don't know how stiff the feeler gauge stock is, but for the brass on my 5X7 I used a large pair of round nosed chain pliers. They gave a real pretty radius to the bends.
    Hope this helps,
    James
    James

You do know everybody's favorite Deardorff maker is selling the very parts you are making, including the pins. Check eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I'm well into this 8x10 project and am now assembling the back. I've read the couple of threads that come up but.......
    I have 300 Series SS Feeler Thickness Gauge 12" Length, .031" Thick from Mcmaster Carr to use for springs. I plan to double them up. I only bought four so I don't want to screw this up (I'll order more when I screw these up). http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2272/=n5doci
    1. What's the best way to bend the ends to fit over the pins in the ground glass frame? In a vise? Do I need heat? Will heat discolor the steel?

2. How much wiggle room should I leave in the back above/below the holder? My chamonix 4x5 and my old 8x10 had what I thought was too much resulting in what I call a sloppy fit. All my 8x10 holders are very similar, size-wise.

3. what do you guys use for pins (stainless) in the ground glass frame to catch the springs?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    You do know everybody's favorite Deardorff maker is selling the very parts you are making, including the pins. Check eBay.
    I have the parts and I intend to use them. I'm building all of the pieces I can, it's part of the experience.

I have 1/8" 304 and 303 round from McMaster. I can send you a few inches free.

If you want it.

QUOTE=vinny;1036266]I have the parts and I intend to use them. I'm building all of the pieces I can, it's part of the experience.[/QUOTE]
    Tin Can

I have not yet built a ULF camera, but it's on the list. As a former professional fabricator, I found I always made things twice. Once the almost right way and the second time pretty damn good. I always buy all supplies in double quantities for this very problem.
    Tin Can