Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What say you all to photo bigots.

What say you all to photo bigots.

Ok, just came back from a local art gallery. They had their annual juried show today and as usual all the photos were ignored. They are the only gallery close by were I can display and/or sell my work. I have been a member for the last five yrs and I get tired of these PhD art professor jurors telling how painters work so hard to create there work. This clown, talked to the gallery members how one of his students created 17 painting in one day. I was pissed.

Like many other photographers, I work just has hard or harder to produce a good image. I have been doing photography for about 45 years now to get to the skill that I am at now. My wife use to complain that I would disappear in the darkroom all day. For me to get the image that I want, sometimes it will take a year or more until the light is right. Getting chewed on my ticks, flies, chiggers and blood rained my misquotes comes with the territory. I like to see how long these paint slingers would last. To have these “art professionals” tell me painter work harder; it’s a good thing I had my nice hat on.

If I had the money I would start my own photo gallery.

Re: What say you all to photo bigots.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Tierney View Post
    This clown, talked to the gallery members how one of his students created 17 paintings in one day. I was pissed.
    17 paintings in one day – I’d say that’s working pretty hard!

According to my notes, the most LF shots I’ve taken in one day (at separate tripod locations) is seven.

I have only myself to blame for such laziness. ;^(

Chuck 'em if they can't take a yolk!

Hell, why not just get a 70mm movie camera.

PhD art professor jurors
    Seems odd. By and large the universities have whole heartedly embraced photography as an art form since late 60s.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Seems odd. By and large the universities have whole heartedly embraced photography as an art form since late 60s.
    Yes and no. The photo program at the university I work at was one of the first set up under an Art Dept. But our painters and art historians are trashing the darkroom program.

I think many university art depts pay lip service to photography -- but when it comes to limited funding -- photo is tossed under the bus

Hmmm. Maybe my perception is skewed by the fact that at the schools I have taught at photography is the big dog in the art departments.......
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

It takes money to both start and run a gallery. Locally, space is about $16 to $22 per square foot, and about 1,000 sq.ft. minimum. So figure on $20,000 to $30,000 rent for a location with traffic, and then of course there's the utilities, etc. Other locations will necessitate lots of advertising to let people know you exist.

Now: what's the estimated gross sales?

tick ... tick ... tick ... dum dee dum-te-dum dum dee dum ... tick ... tick ... tick ...

Bzzzt! You didn't meet your monthly minimum sales! You're out!

Years ago I was told about a place named the Bumstead Gallery. Some guy had converted his apartment into an "art gallery," basically just to do it. And people came in to view the "art," which consisted of things like a blow-up doll in a hammock, and other stuff like that. He did that until someone came in and exclaimed, "it's a bunch of crap!" Whereupon the apartment owner handed the guy a $100 dollar bill, and shut down the gallery.

If you scout around, I'm sure you can find something and open up your own gallery. Do the math, make a business plan, etc.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

John Olsen

Milton: Prejudice against photography as art will only increase in the era of universal digital images. There are canned apps to simulate just about anything we can do with film and darkroom and do it many times more quickly. Even more than 17 paintings in a day! Somehow we all have to do something that isn't a recognizable electronic product. It seems pretty difficult. Shoot images that a drive-by digital photographer would not get out of the car for; create off-beat stills; pick a bizarre specialty? Grow a long beard and dress eccentrically?
    Are there artist co-ops around you that are not run by academic fatheads? I'm lucky in that respect, as the local scene accepts me as the token film guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    17 paintings in one day – I’d say that’s working pretty hard!

According to my notes, the most LF shots I’ve taken in one day (at separate tripod locations) is seven.

I have only myself to blame for such laziness. ;^(
    I wouldn't consider painting hard work. Unless you're painting the outside of a house in the sun for twelve hours.