Thread: Enlarger Suggestions - Please!

Question Enlarger Suggestions - Please!

I'm finally able to build a dedicated darkroom on our new house. I have a Beseler 23C II, but it will only do 35 & 120. I'd like to be able to handle 5x7, too. Is it too much to look for an enlarger to do all three? Any suggestions on a reasonably priced (under $250.00) enlarger or where to look for one? Thanks for your help!

Re: Enlarger Suggestions - Please!

Patience is a key. They say it's also a virtue, but I don't think so. I have patience, but no virtues.

I bought my Beseler 5x7 from an eBay ad that said Pickup Only. It was a guy in Maine and the enlarger drew only one bid. Mine. The enlarger was $100.00 and the trip to Maine about twice that. But I also turned it into a long weekend shooting trip, which made it easier two swallow. Since then I've seen one more Beseler for under $300, two Omega E enlargers for under $200 and a Solar for $75.00. If you insist on holding out for a Durst, figure on paying several times that.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I agree, try a little patience, but keep putting the word out. Enlargers are actually everywhere, but many people think or know they are worthless. Obviously some of us here still want them, but I think many are also doing film to digital...

A good start would be to tell us where you are.

I have 2 5x7's waiting for the right home. No shipping, come to Chicago.

I waited a long time to get the ones I want. I wanted a Beseler 23 Dichro II just for MF and got a great bargain after 9 months.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

The 5x7 Durst L138 series is definitely the best thing out there; and yes you can use it for all your smaller work too. Luck and timing has everything to do with it. You can pay $15,000 for one or pick one up for free, with every imaginable price and degree of condition in between. I get offered free enlargers all the time, and at the moment am trying to open up some more space for a free enlarger which originally cost 75K and is still in almost mint condition.

I'm in Portland, OR so there should be some around here. If I paid anywhere near 15K for any camera piece, I'd be living in my new darkroom for a looooong time!

Recently there was a Durst 5X7 in Indiana that went for very little, well within your budget.

California seems to have more for sale than anywhere else, but it does have the most people.
    Tin Can

Put up WTB here and APUG. It has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
    I'm in Portland, OR so there should be some around here. If I paid anywhere near 15K for any camera piece, I'd be living in my new darkroom for a looooong time!
    Tin Can