Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Users of Nikkor-w 240mm and Fujinon 250 please step inside

Re: Users of Nikkor-w 240mm and Fujinon 250 please step inside

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I've had both the Fuji and the Nikon. The Nikon is big and heavy - A Copal 3 shutter vs. a Seiko (equivalent to a Copal #1 in size/weight). The Nikon is slightly brighter on the ground glass, but only slightly. The Fuji has a larger coverage circle, and it takes 67mm filters, whereas the Nikon takes an 82mm filter. There's a good $100+ difference in price for a polarizer for these two lenses... something to think about.
    While I have no experience with that particular Fujinon, I have had the Nikon for about a decade. For filters, I purchased an 82mm to 77mm step down ring. I have a bag full of 77mm filters previously purchased for my 35mm kit. The step down ring, loosened a couple threads also works well with my Cokin P system. This kept my filter budget under control. Atleast when shooting 4x5 the coverage of the lends with the step down ring is more than adequate with no vignetting.
    Bill McMannis

kevingm

I haven't used the Fuji. I have the Nikkor W 240mm f5.6. I used it with my 8x10 for 15 years, and swore at it a lot and had to use some tricks to maximize coverage. It's useable for 8x10, but at least for architecture or anything requiring more than minimal rise it can be limiting. I use it now with my 4x5, and like it a lot more.

I inherited a fuji 250mm f6.7. Like DREW WILEY I was initially dismissive. But then I got the first batch of color negs back. The results don't lie.

You really need to do a comparison test, scan the film and do a side by side comparison. The flip advice of some yahoo on a forum is a dangerously stupid alternative to empirical evidence.