Thread: Request for hybrid darkroom designs and layout ideas

Request for hybrid darkroom designs and layout ideas

This is a request for ideas and suggestions on building a "Hybrid" darkroom. If you have outlays, photos, drawings, sketches, or simple suggestions, I like to your input.

To help you know what I processes and functions that I'm interested using ths darkroom for, here is the list:

1. Developing roll and sheet B&W and C-41 film with Jobo CPP processor and film drying cabinet. I shoot 35mm, MF, 5x7, and 8x10.
    2. Preparing and developing wetplate images.
    3. Exposing and developing gum over Pd images using a plate burner.
    4. Storing film in a freezer.
    5. Storing camera equipment, e.g., cameras, lenses, tripods, filters, etc.

I have other spaces for scanning, digital printing, cutting paper and mat board, and finishing wetplates.

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Request for hybrid darkroom designs and layout ideas

I wouldn't store camera equipment in the darkroom. It's a risk of water damage and high humidity. Humidity might not be a problem some places, but it is here. You could have a "man trap" room with storage for that stuff between the darkroom and the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I wouldn't store camera equipment in the darkroom. It's a risk of water damage and high humidity...
    Good thinking... I have room to have a separate storage area. There one constructive change already!

You say you want "hybrid darkroom designs and then basically explain that you say

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    I have other spaces for scanning, digital printing
    Doesn't that mean you just want darkroom designs minus the print enlarger?
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Doesn't that mean you just want darkroom designs minus the print enlarger?
    That is the path that I started down. However, if I eliminate equipment storage, as suggested above, and us other areas to cut paper and other dry tasks, then I think that I should elminate the whole "dry side" of a conventional darkroom. I'd just keep the wet side for prcessing film, wetplate, and gum over Pd printing.

Are you doing gum over Pd now or is this a new venture for you?

I second the suggestion for keeping your camera lenses out of the darkroom. I've forgotten the details but as I understand it over a period of time the chemical fumes and dust can damage the lenses in some manner or fashion. I didn't even keep my enlarger lenses in the darkroom for that reason. An excess of caution perhaps but when enlarger lenses for multiple formats used to run in the thousand dollar range it made sense to me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Are you doing gum over Pd now or is this a new venture for you?
    Gum over Pd is a new venture for me. I attended Kerik Kouklis' "Introduction to Platinum/Palladium and Gum Bichromate Printing and Digital Negatives with QTR" at the The Photographer’s Formulary in Montana last fall. Since then I've been accumulating the equipment and supplies needed.

How much square footage are you considering?? I am in the midst of redesigning my darkroom to include the wet process, silver and alt, negative making pictorico and silver negs, as well coating and processing out areas for different process.

Humidity control is key for me , with multiple wet areas , I do intend to have my computer workstation smack dab in the middle of the rooms along with scanners. And ink machines to make film.
    Being able to set up quickly for each process is very important to me.. I moved my Jobo out of the darkroom to a dedicated process area that includes another couple of processors.
    I use a small loading room that is light tight that is close to the jobo processor.

Lots of table space and lots of vertical storage...

The tables I am designing lay on top of the sinks.. I do murals so I have lots of sink space. When I need the sinks the table tops come off.
    The vertical storage is for all chemicals for each process. Right now its about 15 ft wide , 10 ft high and 3 ft depth shelves.

I am also considering a drying room that is super clean for multiple drying purposes.

All in told I think I am looking at about 1500 - 2000 sq ft that would answer all my needs with the ability to teach workshops within the space.
    Therefore an area for people to gather around and follow technical discussions in a workshop enviournment, but very quickly switch to wet process within the same room.

I think one large silver room for murals and ongoing work in silver that is controlled by thomspon safe light, with an adjoining same size room that is multipurpose to open to daylight and close down to bug light at the press of a switch.

Between the two rooms I consider the digital workstations to control everything.

Right now I am trying to do alt and silver in the same room(though large) its a pita as each day I may be doing something different and the setups are much different as you well know.

Good luck with your adventure, I plan to make detailed plans and would post them when I get closer to the date of construction.

The first step is to have separate rooms for wet work and dry work and storage.
    My darkroom, wet room, has two enlargers, a 10 foot sink and chemical storage. It is 10x10 ft. In this space I do all film developing up to 7 x 17". Some of this is done in trays and some in a Jobo. I also expose and process prints from silver gelatin, through most of the alternative processes, and collodion wet plate. Yes it takes me a few minutes to set up each time, but if I take the time to clean up and store equipment at the end of each session setup time is minimal. I should also mention that i mix all chemistry from basic chemicals and buy no prepared chemicals.

The dry room is for storage and mounting. Excess film and paper are stored in a dedicated combination refrigerator freezer in the garage.

If you take nothing else from this message please have separate rooms for wet work and dry work including storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    Gum over Pd is a new venture for me. I attended Kerik Kouklis' "Introduction to Platinum/Palladium and Gum Bichromate Printing and Digital Negatives with QTR" at the The Photographer’s Formulary in Montana last fall. Since then I've been accumulating the equipment and supplies needed.
    The reason I asked is that when I was doing gum (not Pd) one of the main problems I had was finding a clean, relatively dust-free space in which to hang and dry the various iterations of wet paper that you go through with gum, from sizing to final print and every step in between. I ended up having to carry the wet paper to an upstairs bathroom and hang the paper from the shower curtain rail, which was a PITA . So if it's possible given your space it would be nice to create an area separate from everything else and in a location convenient to the darkroom for hanging wet paper to dry.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.