Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I build six "Old School" drying screens

Re: I build six "Old School" drying screens

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I used metal screening that one can purchase at a Home Depot. Works great. But, it of course doesn't have that neat, shellac look.
    I've nothing against using aluminum frames and fiberglass screening, but wooden frames sure look good
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Yester day I found a piece of scrap the right size hiding n my garage, so now I've got ten of these drying frames! Whoa!
    The last four are my Mk IIs (or Mk I-AI?) an improvement with better, 4 screw mending plates using smaller screws (Stanley National 1-1/2"x1-3/8" number N220-087 V119)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,

Shellac is not a good choice for areas that will get wet. Although that didn't keep me from using it on the 5x7 camera I made.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    John,

Shellac is not a good choice for areas that will get wet. Although that didn't keep me from using it on the 5x7 camera I made.
    the damp prints shouldn't come into contact with the wood----if I do my part. While there are plenty of other finishes and materials, my objective isn't to build fine furniture or spend a lot of money on something so utilitarian as drying screens. Teak and silicone bronze aren't in the budget, nor is oak and brass, but that is no reason why they can't be pleasing to the eye---my eyes anyway. Besides, I get a great deal of pleasure building stuff that I'll be putting into use.
    Anyway, in the next year or two I'll likely replace my larger drying screens and I'm learning a lot replicating the old timey looking wood ones

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    the damp prints shouldn't come into contact with the wood----if I do my part. While there are plenty of other finishes and materials, my objective isn't to build fine furniture or spend a lot of money on something so utilitarian as drying screens. Teak and silicone bronze aren't in the budget, nor is oak and brass, but that is no reason why they can't be pleasing to the eye---my eyes anyway. Besides, I get a great deal of pleasure building stuff that I'll be putting into use.
    Anyway, in the next year or two I'll likely replace my larger drying screens and I'm learning a lot replicating the old timey looking wood ones
    All valid reasons. I wasn't trying to change your mind so much as just giving you some useful information about shellac. As I mentioned I used it on the camera I made knowing it wouldn't stand up to the wet weather, and it hasn't but I still like it.

Here's your Doug Fir screen molding if your still looking. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kelleher-...3#.UbiEXMu9KSM

Roger

John, I have to make window screens this weekend, I plan to have some leftover material... Could you perhaps share a snapshot with us that are not so gifted and experienced hand-workers? Thanks!
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Here's your Doug Fir screen molding if your still looking. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kelleher-...3#.UbiEXMu9KSM

Roger
    Thanks Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    John, I have to make window screens this weekend, I plan to have some leftover material... Could you perhaps share a snapshot with us that are not so gifted and experienced hand-workers? Thanks!
    I don't haven't the screen beading on them yet--(I haven't been the Home Depot to check them out!) I can show you what I've do so far if my daughter gets home soon (she knows how to post pictures, I don't ) What has held me up is the grain issue on the screen beading and the terrible wood screws that came with the second batch of mending plates. If you will be using the same kind of Chinese made mending plate, I recommend buying the plates and wood screws separately.
    For real window screens which will be out in the weather I would suggest a better finish than shellac (oil base enamel comes to mind) Tools that really come in handy are a power miter saw (I didn't miter the corners on my screens but a miter saw makes very square cuts) a small hammer like a tack hammer, drill for the pilot holes for screwing on the mending plates and a staple gun.

Drew Wiley

Good luck with that one. We're the biggest Kelleher distributor in the nation, and we don't carry it here. There's a reason. Small profiles of doug fir turn into splinters.
    It's very difficult to mill, plus you have to get tight-grain old-growth stock to even attempt it.