Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong about Zone VI Modified Pentax Meters

Wrong about Zone VI Modified Pentax Meters

Back on 4/27 I responded to a question about the merits of the Zone VI modification of the Pentax Digital Spot Meter. I stated that the modification was unnecessary.

Time to eat crow. After dropping my unmodified meter I needed a replacement in a hurry (like next day!) and decided to buy and test the modified version. I found a rather pricey one available from KEH, but I was desperate.

The modified version is clearly superior. I am a big believer in simplicity of tasks. The modified meter allows me to meter directly thru filters without applying a factor. This removes one more calculation from exposure determination and by my tests works extremely well.

I am so sold on the modification that I decided to have the meter that I dropped repaired and modified by Calumet as a backup.

Just wanted to share this with you. Old dogs can learn new tricks.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I did the test many years ago that resulted in the identical conclusion and continued when the subject came up to recommend these modifications as money well spent (I have two digital and one analog Pentax meters that have been modified) for the reasons that you stated above.

All I would add is to have your meter checked periodically for linearity as you can always deal with consistent innacuracy. That is why I keep two. I leave one as an internal check to see when I need to send a meter in.

Cheers!

Dave Karp

Kirk,

How much is Calumet charging you for the modification of the old meter? I checked their website, but only found the price for the new modified meter.

Michael,

Does the modified analog meter perform to your satisfaction? (That is all I have.)

Thanks in advance.

Why not send it to Richard Ritter directly for the mod and skip the middleman?

Kirk you are not the first and you won't be the last. Part of the reason you can do the metering through filters is the meter is color corrected. Silicon cells don't see color properly, that is why you can't do it with any other meter.

Just for the record. Even thou I was part of the design and testing of the meters and know the modification and what and why all the parts and filters do. As of right now the only thing I do is repair and make sure all the filter are in working order. For modification you would need to go to Calumet. I do know that calumet at some point in time changed the standards the meters were set to. So if you have a new meter and are comparing it to an older meter you may find the reading don't match. Best thing to do is run a film speed test and set the meter to the proper ASA speed or have it checked.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

The modified meter is indeed a wonderful tool. I have to laugh when the uninformed, naysaying 'experts' always come up with a post saying "well, it's only calibrated for Tri-X" or something similar. The fact is that most meters are so far off the response of (any) film that the differences in individual film curve shapes are tiny in comparison. I love my modified spotmeter and I'm keeping it forever.

Does anybody know what the colour response of the various Sekonic meters is? Are they panchromatic, as it were, and able to spot meter through filters correctly?

I recently had an analog meter converted that I picked up cheap and it has performed as well as the digital in the last six months or so that I have been using it. There are times when for one reason or another, the flashing numbers of the digital are not as appealing as the long sweeping arm against the scale of the analog meter and it is a nice change of pace to reach for the alternative. I have checked them against each other and they continue to read dead on.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. Calumet is currently charging 175.99 plus shipping for the modification. I think this is either for the analogue or the Digital. Below is an email from Deb at Calumet. Debbie Ball <debbie.ball@calumetphoto.com>

Hi Kirk we can calibrate the meters the cost is 75.99 plus freight and as long as the analog meter is the gray version it can be modified the cost for that is 175.99 plus frieght turn around is about 2 weeks and you can ship the meters to us at Calumet attn repair 1111 N Cherry Ave Chicago, Il 60622

thanks deb
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Dave Karp

Thanks Michael and Kirk. I appreciate it.