Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slide film

slide film

Hello, how does one turn slide film into a fine art print. I'd like to shoot with slide film for the brilliant colors. I don't want to make a copy neg from the slide and loose quality. Is scanning the slide into a computer, and working it out in Photoshop, then printing it out the way. Thanks.

slide film

Raven,

Tango scan... then do your thing on it in Photoshop.

Lastly, find a great printer.

Presto... great print.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

slide film

As an alternative, if you don't want to invest a year's money in digital which may be obsolete in two years (scanner, Photo Shop, high end printer, etc.) find a good lab and have them scan and print on something like Fuji's Crystal Archive photographic paper. With the digital world changing as rapidly as it is, there is still a place for a decent lab with the capability to do custom work. I'm sure there are labs out there who specialize in this type of work (we have a decent lab here in Tucson which is capable of this output).

"Presto... great print." Some may take exception to this statement. Anyone have good luck with a custom lab capable of outstanding work (on a regular basis)?

slide film

This sounds so much easier than a wet darkroom. Is it. What is the cost of a good Epson printer..? I'm doing fine art color, switching from black and white. If I stayed with black and white, I would stay in a traditional darkroom, but after seeing color work done digitally, the colors and quality are remarkable. I am taking classes in Photoshop, but still wonder about the craft of traditional printing. Sometimes I don't know whether to invest in continued learning with high quality workshops for black and white, or is it time to move on. Thanks for your response.

slide film

It sounds really easy to me. I send off my tranny and a picture shows up. As for doing it myself, the thought scares the heck out of me.

slide film

If you have an enlarger that will take filters you can print directly from your slides using direct positive paper and matching chemisty (and roller processors now quite cheap on the net). It seems scarry but it is not. Printing from positives is easier than from negatives. The prints are beautiful too, way better than standard color prints! Just use the recommened filter pack on the paper you buy and tweek until satisfied.

Cheers,

Octogenarian

slide film

Hi Raven,

Since you posed the question, and state that you are taking classes in Photoshop, and since you have switched from B&W to color, it looks like you have already made your decision. It's time to move on.

Start with the best Epson printer that you can afford, and don't look back. As per my usual recommendation, Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) has very reasonable prices on Epson products.

slide film

If you're talking about a straight print from the tranny, then Ilfachrome or Fuji Crystal Archive is the way to go. If you want to manipulate the image, then scan it (or have it done), do your stuff in PS, then have it printed on Fuji Crystal Archive. My own preference is Ilfachrome, but then, I don't do any image manipulation post camera.

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

slide film

For "art" work, I do my own Ilfochromes. The cost is a bit steep, but personally I feel that to be an art print, it should be something that is a bit more unique than a series of 300 identical prints. In color, the wet darkroom lets me achieve a result where each print is a bit different.

That being said, there are amazing things being done with digital, especially in color. Though I don't like the look of digital B&W prints, some of the color ones are very nice. Give it a try, scan a few slides (have a lab or friend do it) and find someone with the type of printer you're thinking about do the prints for you. See what you like. Just remember, it gets quite expensive to make large prints with digital.

Best of luck.

slide film

I had no idea that you can print slides. By a "staight" print, does this mean no dodging, burning, color correction? Do I assume that you can only print a perfect slide, then?