Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to coil a cable

Re: How to coil a cable

Technique 2 is the method I have used for 30+ years. I also use this with extension cords and climbing rope. The half twist actually prevents twisting and knotting; so I can't see any harm in doing this. I have never had any problems...

Downstairs

Thanks for that! It's an improvement on folding cables. I have forced assistants and family to fold cables for 40+ years and they never believed it was any use. Even if they believe this technique, they will never learn to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Kevin, a/v cables and the people that work with/coil them always do the twist method and it can work with extension cords if they're coiled that way from day one but they do not lay out the same afterwards (it get's messy). In my line of work, all cable (from ext cords to 4/0 copper is coiled the same way, like climbing rope I guess. It coils/uncoils quickly without hang-ups. That's how the entire film industry does it. If there was a better way, we'd be doing it.
    +1

I've worked in TV and Film for a decade, and the audio guys and video guys always over under, but we lighting folk typically over-over. Its easier to toss across a grid without a hitch, and if you're flying a truss you can hang it off the end and its a lot less likely to get caught up in itself or its neighbor as its pulled.

We're talking larger sized, robust cables here though and there's no chance of damage from an improper coil.