Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Re: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Well, the rig costs 50K and the lenses....+ set of Summilux-C lenses would be just a smidgen over 400K. Hope I din't create any heart conditions for anyone, but one could purchase 18 homes for that in Penna. Kinda like going fishing (lb/karp) and getting a 60K boat. OK, OK, maybe this makes sens for some folks.

The new Nikon D850 can do nearly the same at $3200 or so.

Les
    It won't be long before the prices drop on those cameras and off course many of us will be shooting videos for pictures . It just make sense , facilitate the capture of "the right moment " and it is the comercial way to go . We are living through a period of change . Big change . Not so much for large format but for 35mm digital . If i buy the new d850 it will be my last dslr . But i do smell a change on nikon's line up . Once still from videos arrive for all , there will be no point in producing still cameras and because dslr awkward filming grip , they will probably change the body design .It will take some time , probably within the next 10 years maybe less .
    A few year ago on this same page i predicted the impact of smartphones and still from videos on the DSLR camera market . Here is one link to confirm my guesses : https://petapixel.com/2017/03/03/lat...ompact-camera/

+1 for Randy Moe - as I was tapped on the shoulder at age 62 and got to retire 3 years earlier than I had been planning, but I am lucky to (since and) now be able to indulge my LF, MF and digital photography hobby essentially full time. And I enjoy checking into this Forum daily to continue to learn, but before I do anything in the darkroom or PS on computer each day I read the New York Times that is delivered to my home (but with an appropriate adjustment for its relatively liberal editorial bias throughout). Thankfully, the NYT is still available as a daily hardcopy newspaper, and its reporting articles continue to be fairly high standard for the most part. But I understand that it, too, is under considerable financial pressure. ....

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    So glad to be an avid hobbyist photographer and retired.

At first I was pissed to put out to pasture early, at age 58, but now at 62, I'm more than happy just f***ing around.

I have no idea, how people work and have fun.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Soon to be 67.

My short time goal is to view the 2024 Eclipse.

Currently working on my new darkroom.

I read the NYT online. No delivery here.

These are the good old days...

Thank goodness no art involved in news photography.

LOL

not art

Drew Wiley

A five bucks disposable cardboard camera would be good enough for newspaper work, if only it could be instantly transmitted like digital. And 400K wouldn't buy a rotted doghouse atop a toxic waste site around here. But that's about the only logical destination of our local newspapers too - straight to the dump.

I'm afraid it won't be too long until young people will be asking, "What's a newspaper?".

Drew Wiley

Yep ... It's time to teach your dog to fetch the cell phone and deliver it covered with saliva instead of the daily paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Yep ... It's time to teach your dog to fetch the cell phone and deliver it covered with saliva instead of the daily paper.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Lol