Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Re: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Quote Originally Posted by SR95RACER View Post
    Based on what i see from the link Randy provided , Nikon is in big trouble !!! So now we have a smartphone with 41 megapixels for endless cropping and a small file for online sharing , all in one package ready to upload .How is Nikon going to compete with that ?They are far,far behind on the camera phone market. I wonder if they have secured any patents , if not , is going to be almost impossible to break through on this market unless they buy Nokia or other cell phone company .The Nikon Coolpix line of cameras will be extinguished by this phone and if Apple comes up with a similar phone, Nikon and Canon can kiss half of its profits good buy for good .I wonder what service provider will be carrying this phone .I hope Verizon does .I like my Iphone , but it is a shame you can't control shutter speed , but most SLR setting are present in this phone . I never waited in line for anything but for this phone ... i guess i will be camping in front of a store for a while .
    And. oh yeah, most D800 users have found that they must be tripod mounted in order to use all 36 megapixels. Are those Nokia users going to mount their cell phone on a tripod?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    The Nikon D800 with "only" 36 megapixels requires the absolute best Nikkor lenses to reap the benefits. Who exactly has been asking for a 41MP camera phone? Snapshooters wouldn't know what to do with the ginourmous files that are generated. Pros need other features such a easy control over aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, lots of CF or SD storage (where's the SD slot on that phone???), fast processor (where's the Expeed or DIGIC processor in that phone? not to mention that a good processor will suck the life out of a tiny phone battery)... Such a tiny sensor will not allow for limited depth of field such as with a f1.4 lens on a full frame sensor. Let's see how many sales actually happen with this. Probably some suckers will buy it just to say they have it.

Did you read the specification on the phone dude ? You are in fact living in a bubble !!! Oh boy !!!

People here need to start looking at what % of sales & profit compact cameras make up for Nikon & Canon. These are very thin margin items, unlike DSLRs. And I for one see no benefit in exchanging my DLSR for a crappy little camera phone with horrible ergonomics. And I don't need my DSLR top make phone calls. DLSR & ILC buyers are a totally different market than compact camera buyers.

Yes I did, dude. Do you really think a $300 hand-held phone will compete a $3,000 body with $2,000 glass? Most D800 owners found their technical skills weren't good enough to use the 36 megapixels at full resolution. And their mid-grade Nikkor lenses weren't good enough either. So how good do you think those Zeiss lenses are in a $300 phone? How many 41 MP shots can you get on that phones memory before it fills up? What do you do when the internal memory fills up? Getting 36 MP onto a full frame sensor was a quantum leap in technology. Do you really think 41MP on a tiny sensor is going to be decent quality? Maybe by using binning, but then you don't have 41MP. This is a consumer phone. Not a prop camera. Consumers may be happy with the phone until they realize how much storage 41 MP files take up. DSLR users are not going to replace their DSLR with this.

To help you burst out of your bubble , here is a link to a photo taken by this phone http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/up...-highres-4.jpg .
    Being a Nikon D800 user myself with $2000.00 glass on it , i can assure you that this is pretty damn good and as far as "DSLR user are not going to replace their DSLR with it " , sorry to bring you the news but i think some will ! Just like they replaced their 8x10 for 5x7s ,their 5x7s for 4x5s ,4x5s for 6x7 , 6x7 for 35mm , their 35mm film for digital slr .History tells us a tale here ; Practical wins always !!! Just like some of us still shoot ULF film there will be some people who will swear by DSLRs and stick to it .Guess what ? Even you will have one these .Lol

To help you burst out of your bubble , here is a link to a photo taken by this phone http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/up...-highres-4.jpg .
    Being a Nikon D800 user myself with $2000.00 glass on it , i can assure you that this is pretty damn good and as far as "DSLR user are not going to replace their DSLR with it " , sorry to bring you the news but i think some will ! Just like they replaced their 8x10 for 5x7s ,their 5x7s for 4x5s ,4x5s for 6x7 , 6x7 for 35mm , their 35mm film for digital slr .History tells us a tale here ; Practical wins always !!! Just like some of us still shoot ULF film there will be some people who will swear by DSLRs and stick to it .Guess what ? Even you will have one these .Lol
    Are you seriously goi ng to compare an 8 bit jpg with a RAW file? really???

And you think you can hold a camera phone at arms length andhave the stabilit needed to get 41 MP of usable data? With $300 phone??? really???

Let's put this camera through some MTF and DXO tests, then lets talk.

So mr. Bubble, are you the same person as ederphoto? Or just really close friends. I'm guessing you are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    So mr. Bubble, are you the same person as ederphoto? Or just really close friends. I'm guessing you are one and the same.
    They each make the same punctuation errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    They each make the same punctuation errors.
    Yep. And it is consistent. sr95racer used the same punctuation errors in this post, http://www.largeformatphotography.in...53#post1019953 when ederphoto was taking some heat over some sales transactions. Curious how 2 people who post so infrequently seem to appear together in the same threads, use the same jargon, and have the same uncommon punctuation. I bet a little digging by the mods would find that these 2 are the same person.

FWIW I actually have some basis for saying most DSLR users will not switch. I have personally worked recently with over 200 avid photographers in workshops I have led and presentations I have made. Not a single DLSR user showed any interest in doing serious photographer with a phone. Some show interest in ILC cameras because they are so much lighter but still have ergonomics and quality of a DLSR. For me personally, I need to be able to change f-stop and aperture quickly and without pulling my eye from the viewer finder. I can change both almost instantly. Until they put scroll wheels on a phone )among a host of other things), a phone just isn't going to cut it.

retrogrouchy

That's a really nice result for a phone, and as someone who uses a phone camera semi-regularly (the camera you have on you is the best camera), I'd love to get that quality instead of what I currently do.

However, let's not pretend it's anything like what you can achieve with an SLR with a sensor larger than a pea. It's not 41MP, it's noisy as hell despite being brightly lit (EV12), it's full of jpeg artefacts and posterisation. I'd take the results from my shitty old 12MP APS DSLR over that any day.