Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Re: Chicago sun times gets rid of all photo staff

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    Let's face it, newspapers are last-century technology. It's hard to justify a prepress staff, printing staff and press, and petroleum-fueled distribution networks in these times. The daily newspaper here is getting thinner and smaller all the time. Like many here, I started my career in newspapers and respect the print media for in-depth reporting. I'm not sure where I'm going to find real news in the growing world of infotainment.

I, too, hate video clips with embedded ads, and I don't like going on-line to get news. Too much crap to wade through to get 5 seconds of information.
    It all reminds of a sci-fi movie like Blade Runner. No one thinks anymore, no one creates, no intuition or inquisitive thought. It is about instant self gratification. Reading and thinking is considered archaic. Especially when it can be done faster by a computer. It do not blame sugary drinks for society becoming fat and lethargic, I blame the technology.

It is so bad my daughters so called real friends are electrons and photons that show up on twitter snapchat, etc. We no longer no how to socialize as a species so we are doomed to being controlled by the very thing we crated to help us.

So it is with photography. Easier to snap an iPhone picture and post on instagram than compose think about take develop print display etc. My photos define me and are also my legacy for my children and their children. In a sense, it is my immortality. Cannot have that with electrons.

My photographic legacy will be thin and soon forgotten, but I'll get my share of keepers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heceta Creek10_7_17_wk.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	171464

Zone VI 4x5, 150mm Symmar-S, FP4+, 8 yellow filter, N+1. Take that, digital!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    My photographic legacy will be thin and soon forgotten, but I'll get my share of keepers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heceta Creek10_7_17_wk.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	171464

Zone VI 4x5, 150mm Symmar-S, FP4+, 8 yellow filter, N+1. Take that, digital!
    Nice. Doubt it will be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    It all reminds of a sci-fi movie like Blade Runner. No one thinks anymore, no one creates, no intuition or inquisitive thought. It is about instant self gratification. Reading and thinking is considered archaic. Especially when it can be done faster by a computer. It do not blame sugary drinks for society becoming fat and lethargic, I blame the technology.

It is so bad my daughters so called real friends are electrons and photons that show up on twitter snapchat, etc. We no longer no how to socialize as a species so we are doomed to being controlled by the very thing we crated to help us.

So it is with photography. Easier to snap an iPhone picture and post on instagram than compose think about take develop print display etc. My photos define me and are also my legacy for my children and their children. In a sense, it is my immortality. Cannot have that with electrons.
    After much Facebook-ing, Instagram-ing and Linkedin-ing I realised that, though I had seen beautiful countryside, amazing cameras, my friends on bicycles and work colleague's great projects, I hadn't actual experienced anything real...just pixels and digital data on my Iphone/pad...what a weird world we now live in!
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

It all went down hill when they stopped carrying a Speed Graphic.

Yup, we are old and in the way. I dislike streaming anything, I certainly am not going to stream my new paper.

But it does not matter because we are not the demographic they want and need. They either attract the smart phone users or go out of business.

Like film and large format, it is a niche market they prefer to leave to the other guy. Even the best stage coach driver in the world has limited opportunities.

I supported their KS and they are making a go of it.

A new attempt to make a news biz.

https://blockclubchicago.org/

I am not too old to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
    Yup, we are old and in the way. I dislike streaming anything, I certainly am not going to stream my new paper.

But it does not matter because we are not the demographic they want and need. They either attract the smart phone users or go out of business.

Like film and large format, it is a niche market they prefer to leave to the other guy. Even the best stage coach driver in the world has limited opportunities.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    It all went down hill when they stopped carrying a Speed Graphic.
    I still love ya, Bob even though I was one of the would-be castaways in in 1969 for using 35mm, that damned miniature format that did not contact print using column arithmetic. (Remember when they finally got rid of column rules )

(Chicago Sun Times, Daily News, Day publications.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I still love ya, Bob even though I was one of the would-be castaways in in 1969 for using 35mm, that damned miniature format that did not contact print using column arithmetic. (Remember when they finally got rid of column rules )

(Chicago Sun Times, Daily News, Day publications.)
    Sacrilege, Jac! Thanks for that lovely response that made me almost spit my Pepsi all over the monitor!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodhoundbob View Post
    Sacrilege, Jac! Thanks for that lovely response that made me almost spit my Pepsi all over the monitor!
    Those were terrible times, were they not, Bob? I'll bet that you, like me, are over them. Somewhere in that sentiment is a blessing.