Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika for Medium Format Film

Linhof Technika for Medium Format Film

I`m looking for a very small, rugged, and not too expensive folding camera that i would use with a roll film back only. (6x7cm)
    What do you think about this small Technikas Linhof used to built? Today i discovered that Linhof made several different models...
    Can someone give me more information about this cameras?
    Which one would you recommend and what was the latest model they built?
    I need this camera to shoot landscapes and cityscapes.It should work with wide angle lenses (at least 65mm) and should offer some rise!
    I do not need a model with this special viewfinder and handgrip that makes the camera bigger...

Re: Linhof Technika for Medium Format Film

If you intend to focus on the ground glass and don't care about having a viewfinder/rangefinder, look for a Horseman VH. They've become quite inexpensive these days. The 2x3 Technikas will be bigger, heavier and, especially for the latest models, much more expensive. Also, Technika 2x3 cameras use a rollholder with a proprietary mount, while the VH accepts standard baby Graflok rollholders that are generally cheaper and more widely available.

The last 23 Linhof Technika was the Super Technika V, 23b.

Century/Crown/Speed Graphics were made in the 6x9 size, will accept roll film backs, and are a lot less expensive than Linhofs.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Century/Crown/Speed Graphics were made in the 6x9 size, will accept roll film backs, and are a lot less expensive than Linhofs.
    To expand on this comment, Century and 2x3 Crown Graphics can use very short lenses. I use a 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon and a 47/5.6 Super Angulon on my little Century. The cameras offer ~ 19 mm rise, although less is available when the lens focuses to the distance desired with the front standard inside the body. Removing the wire frame finder from the front standard gets a little more rise in this situation.

Ray Van Nes

I will throw my 2 cents worth in as well. I am voting for the little Graphic Century. For one thing, it is lighter , mine stripped down is 3 lbs. On the other hand, it has shorter bellows. However, with some small modification, you can use a 240mm Tele-Arton for a long lens. The whole rig goes into a Lowe camera pack - the Rover and you can throw it in the overhead luggage bin as carry-on. There are lots of them around as well as accessories. Mine has literally been around the world with me.

The Horseman is a nice little camera, I used to own a VH. And it Will handle a 65mm. But unless you have a recessed board, the bellows will be compressed enough that you won't get too much rise out of it. Plenty of movements with lenses longer than that though.

The Graphic- less movements overall (by quite a bit), but much easier to use with wide angles.

Either one is much lighter than the linhof FWIW.

I'd probably go for the Graphic. But I do feel the VH was a bit more useful to me overall. (decided to stick w/ 4x5/5x7 though, so sold off the 120 stuff).

-Brian

Don't forget there are some non-folding but compact Ebonies and other exotics that are well suited for movements and wides. If you are intending to always focus on the ground glass and use a tripod, some of the old 6x9 monorail designs are quite light, compact, and rugged - and allow you to use pretty much any lens.

A lot depends on the range of lens you'll use. If you want long lenses you might consider some of the telephoto designs.

The Baby Linhofs are jewels if you can find a nice one that you can afford. The Graphics are very usable but a bit cruder in comparison, if that matters. The Horseman falls inbetween....

See the review of the 2x3 Linhof Technika on the front page of this site. I tried one of them in 2009 and didn't keep it, for reasons the review makes clear. One might work for you though.

jadphoto

Just one photographer's thoughts...I owned, for a short time, a Horseman VHR and found the knobs to be very small and twiddly. I do have fairly large hands so it could just be me. The small gg was also a bear to work with.

If you must have a 6x9 view camera a used Gowland or the Shen Hao 6x9 (Badger Graphics Sales) might be a better choice.

The Graphics are nice but really don't offer a useful range of movements (let the flaming begin).

Personally I think you'd be better off with a light weight 4x5 (Shen Hao, Chamonix, Wista, Tachihara/Osaka or some such) and a Calumet roll film holder. Not all agree, but I think you'll find more folks working that way than with a dedicated 6x9 camera. You'd also have the advantage of being able to shoot 4x5 should the need arise. Polaroid/Fuji instant backs are available for the Horseman, and they can be used on some other 6x9 cameras as well. However, they're difficult to find and they require a "ground glass spacer" which should be included with the back but often isn't.

After the Horseman I had a Gowland 6x9 which I liked a lot, and probably shouldn't have sold. Limited back movements (tilt only) but tons of movements on the front standard.

JD