Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: older inkjet printing

older inkjet printing

Looking for an older (5 year old ?) inkjet printer. I don't even need to use original inks, I just need to be able to print up to an 11X17 size on nothing special paper. Probably only use it to print 1 image once a week.
    Any recommendations as for quality and longevity?
    Many Thanks,
    Rodger

Re: older inkjet printing

All printers suck...ink and money, if you want cheap, print online at Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by RodgerThePhotographer View Post
    Looking for an older (5 year old ?) inkjet printer. I don't even need to use original inks, I just need to be able to print up to an 11X17 size on nothing special paper. Probably only use it to print 1 image once a week.
    Any recommendations as for quality and longevity?
    Many Thanks,
    Rodger
    Tin Can

Good, cheap older printers are often easy to find for very good prices. Last year I acquired two Epson Stylus Photo 2200's (10+ years since they were introduced), and about eight complete colour ink sets in trade for a bottle of Glenfiddich scotch and a bag of chips. I've set up one to do B&W exclusively. Deals can be found, but be prepared to invest some time cleaning them. For example, one of the 2200's was good to go after a few self cleaning operations, the other needed a week plus of repeated manual cleanings of the print head with strips of shop towel wetted with carpet cleaner.

Good luck hunting.

The Epson 3800 is more than five years old and is better IMHO than the comparable earlier Epson printers such as the 2200 (which I owned) and the 2400. I don't know the used prices but about $300 maybe. If that isn't feasible then with all due respect to Dave above I'd get the Epson 2400 rather than the 2200. I don't remember the details, I'm sure you can find them on line, but IIRC the 2400 was a significant improvement over the 2200 in some long-forgotten respects. There probably are other, less expensive printers that would do a good job but I've only used the 1160, 1280, 2200, and 3800.

I've used Costco for several 20x30 prints and they did a surprisingly good job for something like $10 (surprising because the cost was so low compared to more typical labs). But I want my own printer right on my desk so I can edit and change as I go along, experiment freely, print at midnight if I want, and in general control everything myself. Also, Costco limits you to one or two types of papers, with your own printer you can try as many as you like.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

One thing I enjoy the most around here...ask a simple question and get a trove of information. It really is quite nice.
    Looks like I need to find the 1160. I need an inkjet, not dye, and the A3 max size of the 1160 might just be perfect. The newer inks won't work for this process, I should have stated something like 10+ years or older!
    Thanks Everyone!
    Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by RodgerThePhotographer View Post
    One thing I enjoy the most around here...ask a simple question and get a trove of information. It really is quite nice.
    Looks like I need to find the 1160. I need an inkjet, not dye, and the A3 max size of the 1160 might just be perfect. The newer inks won't work for this process, I should have stated something like 10+ years or older!
    Thanks Everyone!
    Rodger
    An 1160? That was my first Epson printer. I'm not sure you can even find one today but even if you can I don't think I'd want a printer that old. My wife still uses my old 1280 so it's lasted a long time but the 1160 that preceded the 1280 went to the junk yard a long time ago.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Does anyone know what kind of ink Costco uses for their printing service. Dye or pigment? What printers? The results I've seen seem decent to fair.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I love Epson printers ...i have a closet full of them...... i also have a 4800 forsale pigment printer but can be converted.....but it weighs about 80 lbs... so hard to ship

Also be prepared to invest in a custom printer profile for each paper that you use. The aren't very expensive and will save you money in the long run v.s. wasting paper/ink on prints that don't look correct). Also, there is a psychological advantage in knowing that you are working with apples to apples (printer vs. monitor (assuming your monitor is properly calibrated and profiled too).

This idea scares me. There are two issues. The obvious one is that sometimes, with whatever ink you use, the heads clog up. Some of the time - for good. Replacing a head would cost more than the machine. I wouldn't suggest a machine with plastic parts, I'd probably got with a 4800 or 7500/7600.

The other issue is time. Those of us who have used 1160's for example, can tell you it took many minutes for a print to come out... way too long for any sense of comfort.

The final issue is that you only want to print once a week.... If you do, the heads will clog. You need to run a cleaning cycle in between.... every couple of days.

You might do better in terms of saving money with going with refillable carts and ink from Jon Cone (inkjetmall.com). The difference in buying ink in 4 oz bottles vs the highway robbery of those carts, is considerable. It might take a little to get those savings at the very start.... but you will. I buy the ink in liter bottles these days... Huge difference in price.

Good luck,

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing