Thread: Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

Hi I'm Serenity and I live in Vancouver BC. I administer a site that lists hundreds of photography contests. If you know of any great photo contests, I'd love to hear about them

Re: Hello Everyone!

... For large format photographers??

Hello Serenity,

How about a link to your site?

Check out the following and get on their mailing list:

Houston Center For Photography (HCP): A houston based non-profit that fosters photo education through workshops and exhibitions. They sponsor a juried members show each year aand a competitive fllowship as well. These and other exhibitions are displayed in their gallery near Downtown.
    www.hcponline.org

Visual Arts alliance of Houston (VAA): this is a Houston based art club (any visual medium) hosts a juried member's show each year and a juried open exhibition as well. These Exhibitions are displayed in one or another lobby area of major office buildings in the downtown business distyrict.
    www.visualartsalliance.org

Membershipm in either organization is open to anyone and can be arranged on-line or over the phone. Prizes and awards vary, but the exposure in these mainstream art venues is priceless.

The National Park Service here in the USA offers competitive resicencies at many National Parks. Each is different and must be applied to separetly. Go to: http://www.nps.gov/search/index.htm?...x=25&sub1.y=11

Each of the above suggestions are legitimate, mainstream art exhibitions. They are selective and competitive. I have submitted entries to each of them over the years and sometimes my work is selected and moreoften, not.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Most contests are trying to sell you something, or just get your email to sell to spammers. Yes there are legitimate photo contests out there .....but hey you won now we have full rights to the pictures you entered..... These are usually for the "stock sites" that sell photos and the photographer gets nothing or maybe he or she won pennies but now the stock site has got your picture......Its a game and a scam.....i have a few "winners" out there now ....but good luck finding who is using them without permission...Read the conditions in the contest rules very carefully!!!

Hi Andrew ... I post any and all legitimate contests, most are for regular formats ... a few for large formats. and thank you so very much for your contest resources. I will definitely add these to my lists. Here is the link to my site http://proofpositive.com/contests/photocontests.php

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Most contests are trying to sell you something, or just get your email to sell to spammers. Yes there are legitimate photo contests out there .....but hey you won now we have full rights to the pictures you entered..... These are usually for the "stock sites" that sell photos and the photographer gets nothing or maybe he or she won pennies but now the stock site has got your picture......Its a game and a scam.....i have a few "winners" out there now ....but good luck finding who is using them without permission...Read the conditions in the contest rules very carefully!!!
    I agree photobymike, you DO have to read the rules carefully. Not all contests are scams and many do not ask for your copyright.

Hi Drew thank you so much for your contest resources. I will definitely check this out! Thanks