Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light/Flash meter

Re: Light/Flash meter

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Thanks Daniel. Very informative.

Now, a question, why do you emphasize "not 758/758dr"? Are those two not good meters or what?
    Absolutely not, they're great "all in one" meters. I've never owned one, but have operated them a lot on jobs. Frankly, they're over-complicated IMO. TO ME, a meter should be simple. Yes, "averaging" capability might come in handy to some, but to be quite frank; I DO NOT WANT "AVERAGE". I get my meters re-calibrated 1x/yr(some do it 2-3x/yr, but I've found mine doesn't drift with 1x/yr servicing), and since I use both meters as a work-related tool, I can write off the small expense of the re-cal's on each(well, the 358 since I don't currently have a 778, I'm looking for one though ).

The 758/758DR are nice though, if you want an "all in one". Be 'warned' though, they have a lot of stuff built-in that 95% of people NEVER use.
    And if I want a spot meter, I feel the readings from my (former) Pentax Digital's and the 778 were more accurate than the ones from the newer "all in one"(558/558R/758/758DR) combo meters.

Just my experience on the matter.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    I got a sekonic 558 about six months ago that I'm very happy with. It's easy to use and so far very reliable. It probably does all the stuff you want. It is an older model, but still reasonably easy to find. Probably goes for about $200-250.
    The price you quote, $200-$250, is this for a used one or new?

Also, what's the difference between the 558 and the 558R? And how do these two meters stack up against the 358? Just trying to come to a final decision now that I know that I don't need the 758DR.

Thanks.
    --Mario

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    The price you quote, $200-$250, is this for a used one or new?
    Also, what's the difference between the 558 and the 558R?
    The L-558 went out of production a few years ago, when the over-priced 758 was introduced as its replacement.
    You can find the L-558 on the used market, but probably not new.

The 558 (and the 358) have the ability to trigger a PocketWizard II radio remote. This requires an internal module.
    The module was sold as a separate accessory for the 358 and 558.
    It's included with the 558R (at I believe a higher price when originally sold as new).

Note that the radio trigger module is unique to the country/area in which it's used, different for the USA and EU for example.
    If you're using one here in the US, make sure it has an FCC identification sticker, meaning it will work with US remotes.
    The EU version won't work with US remotes because it uses the wrong frequency.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Yes, you can only get the 558 used. I got mine for about $250, but I had little patience in finding a better deal.

The 358 doesn't have a spot meter. See http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-358/overview.aspx
    The 758 is a sort of updated 558 I believe.

I use average metering quite a lot. If you put that in you can use the spotmeter to see the deviation in the finder in f-stops. Even though the average is usually wrong, I find it easier to add or subtract one or several stops and don't have to think in shutter speeds. I make a rough average of a highlight a shadow and a few midtones first and place my zones while looking through the spotmeter and metering more precisely. This way it is easier to mentally remember all the tones.

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post

The 358 doesn't have a spot meter. See http://www.sekonic.com/products/l-358/overview.aspx
    Yes, the L-358 isn't a "spot meter, but it has spot "accoutrements"

1 degree:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...iewfinder.html

5 degree:

10degree:

there have been many who have expressed a distaste for the attachments, but its an option if you want it.

-Dan

I stand corrected.
    Still, probably an expensive and cumbersome route to take if you know up front you want a meter that has both.

I don't like the supposed "spot" metering attachments for ambient meters (any brand/model).

That's why I sold my L-358 and bought an L-558.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

jadphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Mario,

I 2nd the recommendation of Sekonic's offerings for meters.
    Personally, I use the L-358, and also have the pocketwizard module so I can wirelessly trigger strobes using PW's.
    You make mention about the "Zone System". Traditionally this is done with a SPOT METER. Usually a 5degree or less(1degree is preferred by many) is ideal. I have owned a few separate meters over the past few years, and in all honesty, the ones I enjoyed the most were the following:

Minolta IVf
    (f= ability to take flash readings, albeit no pocketwizard module, so manual triggering or via a PC cord connected to the meter)
    this meter takes AA battery(ies), very convenient and cheap compared to the cost of CR-123's on average.
    Sekonic L-358
    This is the meter I use primarily now. It is a very capable meter, and Sekonic makes some accessory attachments for it, including a few SPOT meter ones to use in lieu of the ambient white dome. I use this for both work(I'm a photo assistant here in LA) and for personal work(even with a view camera), and its delivered very consistent results in the time that I've owned it.
    Pentax Digital Spot
    Great meter, very accurate if calibrated correctly(as is the case with ANY meter, many neglect having their equipment calibrated correctly on a consistent, regular basis!). AMBIENT ONLY, NO FLASH METERING CAPABILITY. This limited its usefulness to me in some cases, where I NEEDED the ability to meter flash, in spot mode. For ambient, non-flash use, it would be my #1 choice.
    Sekonic L-778
    (NOT 758/758DR)
    This is one of those "got it all, almost" meters. It is a spot meter, but has a hotshoe, so if you use pocketwizards, you can just pop the PW in the hot shoe and meter away ! I had one, and sold it, but I plan on buying another. Its BIG, but it takes AA batteries, and is a nice compliment to the L-358.

My two picks if I was getting some meters:
    Sekonic L-778 + L-358
    Both are available on the used market, albeit the 778's don't come up very often anymore it seems.

cheers,
    Dan
    In addition to what Dan has said about the L-778, it was discontinued some time ago, it reads ambient and flash, and can be "set up" to make the zone system super simple. It doesn't do incident readings so for flash you'll likely want to read off a gray card but that's no biggie, and I love it for zone system use. Even more than the Pentax digital (watch me get flamed for that )

Down load the manual from Sekonic's web site and read up on using it with the zone system I think you'll be impressed.

The only draw back is it's size, although it's no larger than many of the multi-use meters with a spot attachment.

Big advantage, AA batteries.

JD

I use a Pentax digital spotmeter and a Minolta Flash Meter lV.

I have never used one but the Sekonic L-558 earlier recommended sure looks intriguing.

I find Sekonics and the other feature-burdened meters too damn complex, I would never have another one.

A simple Minolta Autometer IVF or it's modern Kenko clone is all you really need. They are rugged and use AA batteries, great all-around general purpose meters.

As for a spot meter, most people love the old Pentax Digital Spot because it is similarly very simple and reliable.

Don't forget that most digital cameras have excellent metering systems onboard, and with a little experience matching real-world situations you can make them work for you just as well, even if the purists get their panties twisted at the notion.