Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Filmholder

Making Filmholder

I just bought a Linhof Technika 5x7 (I think it's a III) that takes single-sided filmholders. Any ideas on how to make some since nobody seems to know where I can get a few. The camera is in beautiful condition for being 70+ years old. Thanks for any help.

Re: Making Filmholder

Try a regular double sided 5 x 7 film holders in the camera they should work.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Thanks, but tried them & camera has a thin, L- shaped channel the filmholders slide into. The larger opening is about 1/2" narrower than a standard filmholder. I tried milling a rabbit into a standard one, but it fell apart. Apparently I was taking too much off.

Looks like you have a 13x18, rather than a 5x7. If it's over 70 years of age, it's pre WWII. Linhof made single sided holders for these, there may be others which fit.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Look at eBay some guys are adapting a wood GG frame to those cameras, some nicely done.

I have the same camera, but mine came as a DDS model.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
    Thanks, but tried them & camera has a thin, L- shaped channel the filmholders slide into. The larger opening is about 1/2" narrower than a standard filmholder. I tried milling a rabbit into a standard one, but it fell apart. Apparently I was taking too much off.
    Tin Can

There is a previous thread on these single holders are their "availability!".
    The same system was used for 9x12 and 13x18cm holders.
    13x18cm holders have become even more difficult to get on ebay.de than 9x12.

My newly aquired Zeiss Trona 1/4 plate also uses 'sliders', but I got a complete kit, all like new from 1926. Holders, filters, add-on front optics, perfect leather case, flash powder kit, et al. I jumped on it when the entire kit showed up on APUG.

Sometimes people separate the cameras from the necessary accessories. I have learned to be wary of that. I once bought a mint 5X7 B&J studio, each piece separately from the same seller. I was really angry when I realized his greed had caused bellows damage to an unused camera.

Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    There is a previous thread on these single holders are their "availability!".
    The same system was used for 9x12 and 13x18cm holders.
    13x18cm holders have become even more difficult to get on ebay.de than 9x12.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    My newly aquired Zeiss Trona 1/4 plate also uses 'sliders', but I got a complete kit, all like new from 1926. Holders, filters, add-on front optics, perfect leather case, flash powder kit, et al. I jumped on it when the entire kit showed up on APUG.

Sometimes people separate the cameras from the necessary accessories. I have learned to be wary of that. I once bought a mint 5X7 B&J studio, each piece separately from the same seller. I was really angry when I realized his greed had caused bellows damage to an unused camera.

Live and learn.

Is it a Quarter plate, or a 9x12 that takes Quarter plate holders ? The reason for asking is 9x12 film is readily available, holders are quite plenyiful as well.

Ian

The 3 ICA holders are embossed 760/14. They fit the camera.

The holders hold some old Kodak Anti-Halo plates I bought on eBay. There is a thread here on LFF of my shooting one of those plates. I will be shooting the rest of the box soon.

The ICA holders came with Kodak Cut Film Sheath 3-1/4 X 4-1/4 inside the holders.

I have Kodak Cut Film Sheath 9 X 12 cm. right in my hand. They are way too big.

The camera came with a user manual, that does not include this exact model.

I think this is a USA import model.

You can find the sale on APUG.

If you know anything about the camera, I would love to have any info you care to share.

If you want to know more, simply ask.

It is a very nice camera, in design, manufacture and condition.

Thanks for asking!

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Is it a Quarter plate, or a 9x12 that takes Quarter plate holders ? The reason for asking is 9x12 film is readily available, holders are quite plenyiful as well.

Ian
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post

I think this is a USA import model.

If you know anything about the camera, I would love to have any info you care to share. . . . . . . . . . . .

If you want to know more, simply ask.

It is a very nice camera, in design, manufacture and condition.

Thanks for asking!
    I have the Zeiss advert for the Tronar in front of me in the 1928 BJPA, I don't think it's in the 1927 adverts, there's 2 models in the UK - 3½x2½" and Quarter plate like yours - the model number is 212. I'll scan the advert(s) for you if you want.

Thanks to a tip off my a member here I picked up a box of new quarter plate film adapters for my quarter plate cameras (I have a few wood & brass, reflex, and a Contessa Nettel). In a second box were some 9x12 to Quarter plate Zeis adapters and a few more quarter plate.

Ian