Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Remembering Brett Weston"

Re: "Remembering Brett Weston"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Hoisting a glass of my best "snake medicine" in his honor this evening. Long live his memory.
    Ah...PappyVanWinkle !

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

I have a dichotomy about Brett's work: I've never really liked his images, but can spot a Brett Weston print from 30 feet amongst a whole wall of fine photography.
    Wonder he he did it?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I have a dichotomy about Brett's work: I've never really liked his images, but can spot a Brett Weston print from 30 feet amongst a whole wall of fine photography.
    Wonder he he did it?
    He blazed his own trail visually and in the process manifested an identifiable style. To your point, I felt that I had attempted to see a fairly good spectrum of Brett's work as best I could. It was not until I attended a few showings of his work and purchased the Lodima Press portfolio series did I truly come to appreciate the depth and dimension of what the man accomplished. The more I saw that I had not seen before the more I was drawn to his style. I agree that you can tell his work from across the room. Started with Edward and migrated toward Brett.

Terrific!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I admire and respect Brett Weston's many accomplishments. I don't necessarily *like* some of his photographs, but that's only me, not the work. He was a great master, and I raise a glass (of Jameson's on this damp foggy night) to his memory.

This will be on my schedule since it is so close to me. I actually met him once, and he showed me a couple platinum prints at Maine Workshops.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Thank you for sharing.

I met Brett Weston back in the '70's, while I was studying art photography at the University of Oregon. He was a friend of the professor. He used to give us darkrooms tips, and showed his prints in our crit sessions. We all wanted to have Amidol darkened fingernails like Brett. We actually had Edward Weston's old tripod in our equipment closet for those using 8x10. Seems like ages ago, a different time all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Thank you for sharing.

I met Brett Weston back in the '70's, while I was studying art photography at the University of Oregon. He was a friend of the professor. He used to give us darkrooms tips, and showed his prints in our crit sessions. We all wanted to have Amidol darkened fingernails like Brett. We actually had Edward Weston's old tripod in our equipment closet for those using 8x10. Seems like ages ago, a different time all together.
    A different time indeed. However, I note that the university still offers classes in Large Format & Creative Black and White Photography. I assume that your professor was Bernie Freemesser; he and Brett became very good friends (after Brett convinced Bernie to give up 35mm).

I first saw his work in Paris in the mid-'70s. The prints were absolutely exquisite.

Time to raise a glass again to my good friend.

On this date, 110 years ago, Brett was born.

Merg