Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighting equipment recommendations for still life

Lighting equipment recommendations for still life

I'm interested in doing some still life photography. I've been trying (with my digital camera) to set up some lighting situations but unfortunately the desk lamps I'm using really aren't that suitable! I was wondering if anyone can recommend some lighting equipment and a bit of advice on getting started with this.

I've done some work in the past with Nikon speedlights with models, with some reasonable results but money won't fund a bunch of those again with remote triggers etc.! I'm looking for some DIY/budget ideas (if this might suffice?) that any of you may have!

Cheers,

Welly

Out of Plumb

Re: Lighting equipment recommendations for still life

I use our bay window that faces west. With the afternoon sun I can open or close the blinds on three sides of the subject.
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

One constant light, whether the sun or a bulb. A grow light or work light will suffice. A light stand is nice but you can also clip lights to other objects.

Some diffusion material. If you are using a hot light then be cautious of fire hazards. A theatrical supply will stock several kinds of fire-retardant products if you don't want to use a real photography supplier. Of course lots of people use white sheets and tracing paper but be careful!

Tinfoil, mirrors, and foamcore make great reflectors, also don't forget that black cards can subtract light.

Keep it real simple. If you are working in B&W then you need not worry about mixing color temperatures or having the diffusion shift color too much. If you are trying to control color then you need to be very consistent with the color temperatures of your sources and diffusion.

Most people keep their lights too far away from their subject, get them in closer, just outside the frame.

It's hard to beat an overcast day for most things ;-p

A lighting set-up for what style, with what recording equipment? All digital is potentially much easier than analog. I have been having success with Fenix AA LED flashlights and fun foam snoots mounted on Fenix bicycle mounts on Bogen HD flex arms on Manfrotto stands. But, have additional charged batteries standing by and pay attention to individual light outputs.
    “Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile!”
    ― Robert Doisneau”

Think about the desired light quality first: Soft light, hard shadows, brilliant backlit highlights, north window light - what are you going for? Analyze images (from books or magazines) that have a similar light or mood. What is the direction of the light? What was the size of the light? How many lights were used? You can tell a lot from the shadows, and sometimes reflections can give away details of the setup.

As for equipment, I would start with two or three lights, a white umbrella, and a few pieces of white and black cardboard.

Michael

Hiring is a good way to find out what sort of lights and lighting may suit you. Have you got any photo stores that hire equipment near you?
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

I use our dining room window which faces south. A reflector fills in the shadows.

I have also used inexpensive hardware store clamp-on lights with 100 or200 Watt bulbs when shooting B&W.

I have also used three Vivitar 283 strobes on cords for color transparencies.

For light modification: It is amazing what can be done with trash bags, cardboard and gaffer's tape.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Hardware stores stock all manner of lights, I have two 250W lamps that cost about $20.
    I rigged them up to my ceiling, used a bracket to hold a shoot-through umbrella in place, and taped aluminum foil to some cardboard strips as reflectors.
    The whole set-up works well for product shots, and I can easily switch between white and black backgrounds since the table is only about 50cm x 50cm.

Welly - I'm sure you don't want to spend thousands on lighting, but a couple 650W fresnels and a few various diffusers and modifiers will go a LONG way toward lighting anything you might think of (short of a semi truck or a small ship). If you look on Ebay, "AS Arri" Chinese fresnels are VERY similar to the real-deal high-dollar Arris for about 1/3 the moolah. Look around You Tube and you can find a little about AS Arri there and a couple good reviews.

If I hadn't got such a great deal on my minty pair of discontinued Lowel Fren-L 650s, I would have jumped on a set of AS Arris for sure. Add to that a set of scrims and a 48x48 Full Cloth Chimera frame or two and you'll be able to light 80% or more of your standard small still life stuff. IMO.

I have been using the lowenpro hot light system and really like it.