Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 210, 240 or 300mm?

Re: 210, 240 or 300mm?

To be able to choose a specific focal length you have to see with that field of view with your eye and what will be contained in the final image with that lens before you start setting up the camera. The question for the OP is, if you were to take a walk with camera in an ideal (for you) environment, and you saw something interesting or magical, what would be the correct focal length to produce that image.

Part of the process is Can you see in very wide or very long focal lengths? So that collection of trees in the near distance, how best to produce an image. You have a good start with knowing what you like in images (Dav's) so you just have to buy a lens and see if allows you to maximize your image making as you look at a scene - alternatively choose a lens, don't fret whether it is right at this moment, work with it and you will begin to "see" in that focal length. In other words you will have chosen a viewpoint from which to drawn details out of a scene. If you like the isolating qualities in Dav's images, then go with the long end. If you like getting closer physically to a subject use a shorter lens. Experimentation and what fits your natural vision of a scene has to be developed. Limiting yourself to one or two lenses will discipline your vision so that after a while you will realize you want a different focal length to meet your needs. Frankly, most of see with different focal lengths depending on the scene. By cutting through that and using one maybe 2 lenses, you are pairing down your options but creating a personal approach to imaging. Dav's work is a good example. He has a definable style by his limited choice of lens, light (soft) and choice of films. Of course he is rather stingy in his subject matter but there are infinite possibilities of imaging trees and landscapes. Choose a lens based upon what field of view and other characteristics if offers your creative eye, not those of others.

... (this is what happens with a glass of wine before dinner) don't encumbered by too many lenses. Leigh who needs to get indignant before he is willing to share, has a plethora of different lenses in a variety of focal lengths so he can match his vision. But few of us can easily know the correct focal length all of the time. So part of the creative process is to choose a lens because it is there, and use it to it's strengths (love the one your with). Eventually you will find your vision and passion to capture it or not. But you never lose as long as you shoot. Choose the focal length that seems best for you (try DSLR comparitives and see which Focal length you tend to choose for a scene). Eventually you will get there. The great thing about lenses is perhaps like women. There is nothing like having ultimate intimacy with one lens. But for some, the passion comes with more concurrent choices so long as you can juggle them all. I do like that analogy!

PDM

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    There are many small format zoom lens users that use variable focal length to frame and crop.. which is not the way to think when using a view camera.
    It's not even the way to think when using a small format camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    One cannot simply walk up closer to everything, and even if you could, the perspective changes, and the composition might not look the same at all.
    Exactly. "Just use one lens for everything and move your feet" seems to be the hot advice these days, regardless of format. While I'm all for not getting so tied up in equipment that you don't fire the shutter, sometimes a flattened (or exploded) perspective is the thing you're after. You can't get those by moving your feet and cropping. You have to change your glass. A focal length is an entire point of view, not just a framing device.

As for the OP's OQ, I'm afraid I'm no help, having never used anything longer than my 150. I'm just reading along for the learning.
    SINAR F+ 4x5 wearing a Fujinon 150/5.6 W

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by gmed View Post
    I guess I need to clarify. I dont want to do close up as in macro. More like a closer perspective, narrow in. Sort of like the examples below from Dav Thomas.
    as I see more examples, I think 300 is better suited for this.

http://peaklandscapes.com/landscape-...e-photography/

I know Dav and he calls his Nikkor 300M his standard lens. I love mine and it gives a lot of room for rise/fall - very useful.

Tim

p.s. I'll tell him he's being talked about ;-)
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

provided that:
    - your camera has maximal bellows extension of 395mm
    - the 300mm lens you choose has 300mm back flange distance
    your minimum focusing distance will be about 1825mm, and your maximum magnification will be about 0,32

if you need to go beyond, choose a telephoto design, e.g. Fujinon TS 300/8 with 199mm back flange distance (min. focal distance: 759mm and max. magnification 0,82) - but check if you can fit such a bulky lens to your camera