Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rural America

Re: Rural America

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Train bridge in Weldon, NC along Rt 158 in northern North Carolina.

Graflex series D 4x5, HP5, can't remember the lens...perhaps the 190mm Anastigmat that came on the camera.
    Speaks volumes. Well done.

Tim Sandstrom

Marvelous, strong set of images; top notch in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    How about a few more.

Attachment 101006

Attachment 101007

Attachment 101008

Attachment 101009

My greatest enjoyment is working with the people which is tough to do with LF.

The photo of the man on the wood pile is the late moonshiner Popcorn Sutton. Popcorn was slated to go to federal prison and was under house arrest at this time. This was the last time I saw Popcorn before he took his life before returning to prison.

Thanks! I need to post some more soon.

One of the magazine / tabloids in my city is starting a weekly series of my images and stories written by my partner in crime who was on many of my documentary shoots. My friend Tom is a professional writer that I've worked with since 1972. We're both old advertising guys and three years ago collaborated on the "Vanishing Apppalchia" exhibition that is touring museums. It's much harder core than these images with cock fighting images, kkk cross burnings and serpent handling in churches. I have to say its exhilarating and a little scary sometimes.

A forest service guard station. Toyo AX 4x5 TMX 100
    I also liked this crop of the door, so I may have to go back and shoot some more.
    Thad Gerheim

Hi Don,

Do you happen to have a book available for the Vanishing Appalachia exhibit? If not is there a chance of one being published?
    I grew up in East Tennessee and I really enjoy seeing images of the people and area that is disappearing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Thanks! I need to post some more soon.

One of the magazine / tabloids in my city is starting a weekly series of my images and stories written by my partner in crime who was on many of my documentary shoots. My friend Tom is a professional writer that I've worked with since 1972. We're both old advertising guys and three years ago collaborated on the "Vanishing Apppalchia" exhibition that is touring museums. It's much harder core than these images with cock fighting images, kkk cross burnings and serpent handling in churches. I have to say its exhilarating and a little scary sometimes.

We're considering publishing a book and have had numerous requests. It's an expensive and time consuming proposition to do one so we have to make certain there's enough demand first.

We did publish a very nice and quite popular book on the late moonshiner Popcorn Sutton. I guess we've sold atleast three thousand or more copies. It's beautifully printed under my supervision by a printer I've worked with for twenty five years. Amazon sells it too but printing isn't as good and the paper isn't nearly as nice. Our version is $27.95 plus shipping and is autographed by myself and the writer. It's around 70 pages with around 60 B&W images and a couple of color. It's called "The Making and Marketing of a Hillbilly Hero." I think Amazon has sample pages on line.

PM if interested.

Thanks
    Don

Louie Whitten and his Gas Station, New Mexico
    Speed Graphic, Tri-X, 135mm Optar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gas-Station-001.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	104345

Name:	LouieWhitton-001.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	104346

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Louie Whitten and his Gas Station, New Mexico
    Speed Graphic, Tri-X, 135mm Optar

Name:	LouieWhitton-001.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	104346[/CENTER]
    I especially like the portrait of Louie! The combo of his demeanor and the background really tell a story.

Peter

I posted this shot of an old building in San Miguel, Ca. last March and recently went back there for another of the same building, but on the opposite side.
    Sometimes, at first glance, when my mind is blank and receptive, it looks like a locomotive charging down the tracks and I'm reminded of "The most interesting man in the world" who once parallel parked a freight train :-)

I was almost ready to trip the shutter when I suddenly had to high-tail it out of there to make way for an oncoming Amtrak train.
    Acros/xtol, 90mm Grandagon-n, 1/2 sec. f32