Thread: Anyone modifed or used the Sinar Gossen TTL probe for GG measurements?

Anyone modifed or used the Sinar Gossen TTL probe for GG measurements?

In a job lot, I received a number of attachments for the Sinar Gossen 6 meter system, including the "profi-select TTL" probe to be be used with the metering back. I am not going the way of the Sinar metering back - but wonder if anyone has attempted to modify the attachment so it can be used as a "slider" measure on the outside of the Ground Glass in the field?
    As far as I can see, apart from the complicated mount, this contains nothing more than the end cell and an electrical connection to the meter.

loujon

Re: Anyone modifed or used the Sinar Gossen TTL probe for GG measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    In a job lot, I received a number of attachments for the Sinar Gossen 6 meter system, including the "profi-select TTL" probe to be be used with the metering back. I am not going the way of the Sinar metering back - but wonder if anyone has attempted to modify the attachment so it can be used as a "slider" measure on the outside of the Ground Glass in the field?
    As far as I can see, apart from the complicated mount, this contains nothing more than the end cell and an electrical connection to the meter.
    Hey Steven
    I'm pretty sure that Gossen made a holder type arrangement in at 4x5 size that slipped in behind the ground glass frame just like a film holder but empty inside so there is intended room for the probe to move to all areas of the ground glass frame. Allowing for metering w/ the probe. The meter clipped on to the holder and the probe slips into the hollow holder to measure open ground glass .

I use to own one of these probe attachment but never really used it so my experience is first hand but still limited.

Here's the best image I could find at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gossen probe attachment.PNG  
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 13-May-2013 at 09:57. Reason: add

Yep, the non-Sinar way of doing things was that meter probe holder ("Meßkassette") - these sometimes show up on ebay. Rebuilding the TTL probe wand so that it works as a behind-the-glass meter probably is not cost efficient given the going rate for Minolta Boosters.

I have the Gossen pictured and it is a beauty. VERY precise meter and high quality.
    Sergio

My website

I have a Sinar Booster-1 probe that works with a Minolta meter. This came with a film casset type probe holder. Works fine.

This unit is currently offered on the FS/WTB forum without the meter at $150.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

You can use the Gossen Microscope adapter to meter off a ground glass directly. But you have to do it while keeping light from falling on the gg to prevent flare from affecting the reading.
    Prontor used the same probe with their Prontor Magnetic shutter system. Prontor and Linhof offered two different slip-in metering cassette adapters that accepted the probe.
    022742 for 4x5 cameras and 022743 for 5x7 cameras. So there should be some of these cassetttes floating around out there.

Thanks for the contribution, Bob. Makes a change from Linhof serial numbers!
    I suppose the "Lab" and "Profi-lab" attachments (also in the job lot) are not what you were talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Thanks for the contribution, Bob. Makes a change from Linhof serial numbers!
    I suppose the "Lab" and "Profi-lab" attachments (also in the job lot) are not what you were talking about?
    No - these are angled incident attachments that shift the sensor window to the dial plate face, to use the meter on a enlarger base board, and would make it even harder to hold the meter against a ground glass than when using no attachment at all.
    Last edited by Sevo; 30-May-2013 at 02:30.