Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metering Light For Tintypes

Re: Metering Light For Tintypes

Quote Originally Posted by taulen View Post
    It has to be moist/wet. Depends alot on temperature. All from 10min to well over 30++ minutes.

edit:
    www.flickr.com/photos/taulen/
    Beautiful work, and thanks for the tips! I see you used a Petzval lens on some of your images. I'm looking to purchase one myself. Any tips on places to look, or is ebay really my best option?

Lenses pop up where they pop up. If you don't know too much about vintage optics this forum is as safe a place as any to pick up a petzval. You don't need a petzval to make good work in wet plate, but they are fun and a little addicting. Price increases exponentially with speed and coverage. What size plates are you starting with? Where are you based, chances are there is someone within 100 miles of you who is making plates and may be a little further along than you who would be willing to spend some time with you.

Quote Originally Posted by davehyams View Post
    Lenses pop up where they pop up. If you don't know too much about vintage optics this forum is as safe a place as any to pick up a petzval. You don't need a petzval to make good work in wet plate, but they are fun and a little addicting. Price increases exponentially with speed and coverage. What size plates are you starting with? Where are you based, chances are there is someone within 100 miles of you who is making plates and may be a little further along than you who would be willing to spend some time with you.
    I'm looking to start with 8x10. I'm currently based in South East Florida, but still manage to come home to Minnesota in the summers quite a bit. I've been trying to research wet plate photographers in Florida, but haven't had any luck coming across anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mkvidt View Post
    I'm looking to start with 8x10. I'm currently based in South East Florida, but still manage to come home to Minnesota in the summers quite a bit. I've been trying to research wet plate photographers in Florida, but haven't had any luck coming across anyone.
    This was recently updated in Quinn's forum.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...ca71132c010427
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    This was recently updated in Quinn's forum.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...ca71132c010427
    This is great! Thanks!!