Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiprock Trip.

Re: Shiprock Trip.

The inscrutable native permit system aside, IMO one needs to respect other cultures, even if you are Texan. Perhaps that is the reason you find so many of Shiprock's features "unphotographed".

Many years ago I self supported solo through Desolation/Gray Canyons on the Green River, mostly run by hordes of squealing tourist commercial rubber. The printed river map indicated that much of one bank was tribal land (Uinta Ute, if I remember correctly) and landing was not allowed without permit. The only problem is that, although tribal permitting agencies were listed, no one running the river had apparently ever been successful in actually obtaining a permit, no matter how far in advance. 3 days into my 5 day trip, I found none of the BLM bank side springs to be running and began drinking from the river itself. As I approached the tribal side, I noticed someone wandering about at marked permanent spring, and eddied out. Still in my boat, I got his attention and explained my predicament. He said I was free to use any of their springs and to hike anywhere I wished on tribal land. But here's the freaky part. He said that I had been watched all along the river and that my presence had already been noted, that no one would bother me. Having not seen a soul on the tribal side, and having seen perhaps too many westerns, it did bring to mind the possibility of unseen arrows whizzing above my head.

Somehow, for me at least, this parable seemed to suggest something in value akin to a lack of entitlement and mutual respect.

That's a great story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6912.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	95067 Navajo Prayer Wheel, Shiprock, 1980s.

Being from the East, I was intrigued by Shiprock when I planned a trip to the Four Corners area. After reading about the tribal lands issue and then seeing how desolate it is out there I decided to forego getting any closer to it than the paved Highway 64. That was my only disappointment on that trip.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    That's a great story.

Name:	IMG_6912.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	95067 Navajo Prayer Wheel, Shiprock, 1980s.
    Hmmm. Knowing a lot of Navajo spiritual people I think that title may be a bit offensive.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, I didn't know WHAT it was, so I asked my friend who lives here. She didn't know, but her brother who has some issues and gets passed around by the family said that's what it was. (His name, not mine.) He said in the 80s a bunch of plains indians came down to the October Fair at Shiprock. They were more into prayer circles and wheels than the Navajo and did several while in the area. The kids who were using Shiprock to get away from supervision, see their girlfriends, drink, do drugs, all the teenage stuff they weren't supposed to be doing, started leaving them at the scene of parties. He was inHigh School and says thats what they called the process: Prayer wheel or Whisky prayer wheel. That's about when I saw this one. Haven't seen any since the early 90s, though they were quite common for a while. I think this was on the East side at a road junction, a little ways out from the rock.

Never printed this negative. Just a proof. You are right, of course: That title wouldn't be the right fit for public image.

Found much stranger stuff than this in the desert. Once I found a mason jar full of burnt pennies. No touching that. Another time a deer or sheep scapula wrapped in string and stuffed in a crack at a spot Clift had talked about climbing up. In a little tree: a dessicated owl, wings folded around around a store manikin hand, the whole thing wrapped in barbed wire. And of course the desert to the South East is full of man-sized hand stacked stone towers on every little ridge and hill. My friend say they are sickness curing spells, bad luck breakers, rain watchers, etc. Best just to not touch and leave alone. Clift has a photo of a walking stick and necklace shrine in his book. That one looks a more anglo to me, but you never can tell. They don't stay in place long.

Name:	IMG_6939.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	95129 White House Ruin, Canyon de Chelly, 2012

There are a lot of plains indians up around sleeping Ute Mountain, quite a few Cheyennes, Arapahoes and a few Sioux. Not sure why-probably married into the Southern Utes. I used to go to Native American Church ceremonies up that way by Towaoc and around Ignacio and Shiprock. A lot of people from different tribes participating but mainly Utes and Navajos. Well meaning good people. Some are still friends.

Yeah, I run across a lot of strange shit in the desert-seemingly many times to reflect some odd spiritual practice or probably more likely maybe just kids screwing around.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I can't tell ever so I don't touch anything or stay long. I'm inclined to pick up and bag trash, but didn't touch this bottle wheel just in case it was still active in some way.

Name:	IMG_6941.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	95143 Canyon de Chelly walls and stripe.

A different experience of Shiprock. I don't think many climbers are into the visuals- too busy paying attention to the task at hand, but really incredible to see some of the scenes they climb through.

I don't think any of this is permitted, though about 40-80 folks summit Shiprock every year.

Cropped bit of a much bigger negative. Can't wait to see this again and cut it down to just about this amount. Easy subject approach off the road that comes in along the South Dike. 10:00 light or in overcast.

Name:	_DSC2256.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	95227

Gotten to where I shoot digital images of many of the complex wall systems and look at them when I am back at my computer. I've gotten very familiar with the details.

Excited to be going back. Like visiting old friends.

Framed this guy today. From the 90s. That's the morning shadow, pretty early, from the North buttress, along with the West Dike. 5X7 and TX and HC110. Probably a 120 Super Angulon.

Name:	_DSC1527.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	95369