Thread: Widelux F8

Widelux F8

Any input on the Widelux F8 camera? I have someone that would like to sell one t o me. Any concepts on price, reliability, image quality, etc? Thank you- Jon

Widelux F8

My page (in French) about Widelux is at : http://www.multimania.com/cesarigd/photopmat Price (in France) 500 $ B+ Reliabilty : good, but not a workhorse image quality : very good

IMHO : the Widelux is not a LF camera. For all-round pano photographs, stitching is the way to go now. It still may be of use for creative pictures and moving subjects. A Widelux 1500 (using 120 roll film) is worth for large prints..
    D.C.

Widelux F8

The correct address of my page is : http://www.multimania.com/cesarigd/photopmat.htm
    D.C.

Widelux F8

This contribution is probably too late to assist with your decision, but I have some general comments. There is very limited first-hand info out there about Widelux. In part, this is because Panon is no longer producing the F8. Much of the info circulating is negative--tales of terrible banding problems, unreliability, etc. However, many of these stories are being retold and magnified by individuals without direct experience with Widelux. Consult users and techs before you make up your mind--there are fanatically dedicated Widelux users out there. The Widelux banding problems were largely solved with the F8 model, and most of the pre-F8 cameras are fine with diligent user care and regular CLA's. You can use a Widelux for journalistic photos that are not possible to make by stitching. It certainly has limitations, such as few shutter speeds and slowness of film-loading, but its lens is superb, it is quiet, it occupies a small space in your kit, and it is a pleasure to handle. Contact me directly if you want a summary of a small survey I took of Widelux users and technicians a few months ago. Good luck!

Re: Widelux F8

I am looking for a Widelux F8 with filters in excellent or better condition. Are there any out there?

Quote Originally Posted by James Friedman View Post
    I am looking for a Widelux F8 with filters in excellent or better condition. Are there any out there?
    Can I interest you in an F7 that is in excellent condition, and works perfectly? No filters, but was recently CLAd by Bob Watkins, who knows everything about these cameras. Includes a case and brochures from when it was new.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by James Friedman View Post
    I have all of the above and am about to put them on eBay, but I'll wait for your reply.