Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on elevator brake repair on Century 2 Stand

Re: Question on elevator brake repair on Century 2 Stand

I believe the pulleys and long coil spring is to counterbalance the elvating platform. The adjustment is for different weight cameras. I don't think the brake is designed to hold the weight. I believe the brake is only supposed to stabilise the platform and camera. This is the type of stand (but not the same make) that I saw in the photographic studio where my mother had her pictures done, the photographer showed me how even I (at age 6) could raise and lower the camera with a finger. I was admonished to never lift or lower it without first releasing the brake. This was in 1944.

My mother's favorite photographer had an 11X14 portrait camera mounted on a stand similar to this. She went in every year for new "stills" because womens fashions changed often. By the time I was 6, I was "allowed" to adjust the camera height. This had to do with pulleys, rope, and a coil spring with a tension adjustment on the dead end. He had that 11X14 so well balanced, I, at age 6, could move it up and down quite easily. I was warned to never move it up or down without first releasing the brake. So, I think that's what you have, a stand designed to counter balance the weight of the camera, with a brake to lock it in position after the photographer set the camera where he wanted it. This was in 1944.

Premortho,

Looks like your memories nailed my problem. I had never adjusted the tension on this (no need in the past) and apparently either I or someone at one of my numerous garage sales may have tripped the pawl on this and let the needed tension slip away when the cog wheel was left without a stop in place.

Anyway. Many thanks to all who responded. The actual brakes needed no adjustment once the tension was reset correctly. Works like a charm again.

By the way, I am using Old English dark wood scratch formula on both the stand and the camera. Gorgeous luster to the cherry wood now.
    Last edited by lenser; 9-May-2013 at 22:22.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I'm happy we came up with the solution to the problem. It doesn't pay to let strangers (or sometimes even friends) play with rare antiques like this.