Thread: New Ground or Off My rocker

New Ground or Off My rocker

During my Navy career we had many communication stations located well away from populated centers. Less industrial interference, flat terrain for signal propagation etc. Also the sites also were serious contributions to local rural economies.The Croatia LF tour opportunity started the thinking process.

So here goes. No offense intended. Just pondering in the open. If 25% of Croatia is tourist standard travel and collected wonderful places.. Likely you come home with your version of tourist territory rephotographed.. That is where the countries natural beauty and wonders are.
    The tour operator is assured that accommodations will be acceptable or better, and transportation predictable. All reasonable.

That would leave about 18,000 KM of paved road in Croatia for those who want to explore the majority of the country which is not 'Tourist Ready'. What are the possibilities of great photo discoveries when the tour is designed to explore the rest of the country?

Is that maybe 90 days worth of total seek to discover at 40 kph * 5 hr a day and 3 or 4 hours of LF set up shoot tear down, back in the car.
    What would work for travel? Maybe 2 photographers sharing a self driven car. In don't see a mini van or small buss and a group as being workable when Boonie trekking...

So with a fresh Fodor's in hand I don't see more than basic information off the tourist routes.
    Country Tourist organizations point you to the developed areas for Tourists.

So how to improve the percentages of fun a and rewarding LF travel in the rest of Croatia or any other country with significant exploration space?

Re: New Ground or Off My rocker

Sounds like a plan!

Partial Answer
    http://maps.google.com/help/maps/str...reet-view.html

Croatia is pretty well covered by Google Street View.

My answer was to spend 6 months on a bicycle (and w/ a 4x5) traveling in a foreign country. Great way to experience the place. If one is going to do it, DO IT!

アナログ侘・寂

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    So how to improve the percentages of fun a and rewarding LF travel in the rest of Croatia or any other country with significant exploration space?
    Find somebody local (preferrably a photographer) and ask for advice

If we're talking about Croatia (a rather diverse country, geographically and photographically), there is indeed much to see "outside the beaten path" - and there are many interesting parts which are not included in the usual "touristy" itineraries.

What you are suggesting (90 days?) is more like a "total immersion", with enough time to get to really know the country and the people. A very nice idea, and likely to be a "once in a lifetime" experience, if everything goes well. Of course, the usual precautions apply, as always when traveling abroad for extended periods of time (travel and health insurance, equipment insurance, etc.).

But, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Perhaps try to establish some contacts in different parts of the country beforehand? You might also try establishing contacts through local photo forums (or is it fora?)... There will always be people willing to help.

Regards,

Denis from Croatia

Where are you in Croatia?

I have been there and went to some lovely little towns and ancient churches. I can connect you with my family in Rovinj and they can give you suggestions.

Jackie