Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round images on negatives.

Re: Round images on negatives.

I think this is what I'm looking for when it come to effect. Combine one of these with a mask and I think I found what I'm looking for. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...andscape/page4

I've an old petzval that was missing an element. I took one out of a overhead projector and popped it in there and that big honking petzval gives me a completely circular image on 5x7. I'll post an example when I get home.. If you love it I'll happily sell it to you
    Last edited by Tim Meisburger; 2-May-2013 at 19:10. Reason: forgot format size

Quote Originally Posted by JRCriton View Post
    Why is it that a smaller lens make it so the bellows has to be compressed more?
    Just in case no one has answered your question - a "smaller" lens, one that has a shorter focal length, say a 150mm (6") lens on my 8X10 camera. My bellows, when compressed all the way as far as the camera design will allow, the smallest lens I can accommodate, focused at infinity, is a 6 1/2" lens. I have to use a recessed lens board, which makes the lens sit farther inside the camera if I want to use a lens shorter than about 160mm.
    Boy I suck at explaining

The second photo you linked to looks like it was not made round in the camera, but printed that way, perhaps with a round mask over the printing paper.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

JR,

Sorry this took awhile. First is a photo of the Create a Frame, then the info, and finally the Lindahl Bellows Shade which has slots at the rear, in the center (adjustable) and at the front (also adjustable). This is so that it could be used as sort of a matte box. These are on the bay quite often and with rear adapters they can fit just about anything. Also, they compress way down if needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frame.jpg   create a frame.jpg   create a frame B.jpg   LHVSH.jpg  
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

retrogrouchy

And if you want a particularly crazy effect, put a short fisheye lens on there, e.g. the 37mm from an RB67 will give you a circular image on 4x5.

There are plenty of short lenses designed for smaller formats that will give vignetting.

You can still use movements but of course shift just moves the circular image around on the film. Tilts work too and have the same effect but you will additionally get a non-circular (ovoid or teardrop: conic sections) image from the movements.

O now that's interesting. Now how in the world do I find a create a frame? Google didn't help and the bay didn't have any posted.

Yeah, I had a hard time finding examples to visually show what I was meaning, but imagine the white being black.

I can't wait to see.

The round circle in front of the enlarging lens will give you an image circle on a white background. As Jnanian suggested, any lens design that produces a small circle of illumination will do the job. See the comparison charts on the LFF home page to get an idea of what will work. Here's one from the 130mm folder lens I used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kiwanda Round x.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	94477

That is exactly what I'm wanting to do! Only with softer edges. Okay so how do I make scene of the chart? I'm very new to LF. I'm use to 135mm and 120mm.