Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round images on negatives.

Re: Round images on negatives.

Couldn't you create a mask from a darkslide? Pull the real darkslide and insert one with a circular or whatever shape hole and expose. It would be pretty sharp being so close to the film.
    That way your not stuck shooting really short focal length lenses.
    Jon

Here is mine, from the Frankenpetzval on 5x7.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 - 4 - 5x7001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	94496

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Here is mine, from the Frankenpetzval on 5x7.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 - 4 - 5x7001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	94496
    That's the effect I'm going for but what I'm trying to do is have the edge be more blurry than fade to black.

Quote Originally Posted by jonreid View Post
    Couldn't you create a mask from a darkslide? Pull the real darkslide and insert one with a circular or whatever shape hole and expose. It would be pretty sharp being so close to the film.
    That way your not stuck shooting really short focal length lenses.
    Jon
    I was wondering about that but my fear is that the mask since it's so close to the film would make the edge too sharp.

The lens charts are on the home page of this site. Scroll to the top of this page and click on "LF Home Page." As for making the edges softer, I don't know. There are lots of ways to diffuse an image, maybe a tiny bit of vaseline around the edge of the rear element? The image is going to be vignetted by the housing for the rear element, so there's going to be an edge. The image doesn't just fade away to nothing, it's cut off - there's no more lens there.

http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~ds8s/23.../no2kodak.html
    http://www.vintagephoto.tv/no2kodakcouple.shtml

I have one image of my grandfather when he was about 6 yrs old, that was probably taken with a Kodak No. 2 or similar. The round image is quite appealing. Adding a round paper mask at the film-plane should be easy enough on just about any camera. To make the gradient black border I would probably place a round mask (blocking disc) between the enlarger lens and the exposure already on paper, to burn the border to the degree desired. Sorry for not reviewing all the previous replies. These thoughts may be redundant.

I got the round effect by mistake with a too small hood on a Digicam.

I also have a Beseler Vignette-O-Flex 5X7 enlarger I have never used. It is designed to do projection enlargement vignette. It has 4 light bulbs surrounding the neg holder, so it must make white vignette, but I bet it also makes black ones. Considering how smart our predecessors were!

If you are scanning, just do it in post.
    Tin Can

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by JRCriton View Post
    That is exactly what I'm wanting to do! Only with softer edges. Okay so how do I make scene of the chart? I'm very new to LF. I'm use to 135mm and 120mm.
    hi again

you should contact reinhold, he's a forum member ...
    http://www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com/Site/Lenses.html
    see if he has a lens for 4x5 ( or smaller ) that will do exactly what you want.
    he makes and sells wollaston meniscus barrel lenses .. they are affordable and fun.

how are you going to get prints, are you contact printing ?
    you can easily get softer edges by cutting a hole in a piece of board
    and dodging out the light as you make a print ...

have fun!
    john

JR, I think what you need is a small meniscus lens wide open. A meniscus (i.e. simple) lens can give a sharp image in the center area, with sharpness falling off rapidly away from that (see some examples in the first post here:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rialism-Images). We use a lot of lenses like that, but normally ones that cover the format we shoot. What you need to do is find a simple lens that doesn't cover the format. Easiest might be an old lens in shutter from which you can remove the front element, perhaps the lens from a folder. Alternatively, start checking the image circle of small magnifying glasses until you find one with the right size, then mount that in cardboard and tape it over a shutter.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    JR, I think what you need is a small meniscus lens wide open. A meniscus (i.e. simple) lens can give a sharp image in the center area, with sharpness falling off rapidly away from that (see some examples in the first post here:http://www.largeformatphotography.in...rialism-Images). We use a lot of lenses like that, but normally ones that cover the format we shoot. What you need to do is find a simple lens that doesn't cover the format. Easiest might be an old lens in shutter from which you can remove the front element, perhaps the lens from a folder. Alternatively, start checking the image circle of small magnifying glasses until you find one with the right size, then mount that in cardboard and tape it over a shutter.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
    So if I use my Caltar II-E 210mm lens and remove the front element do you think I would get the sweet spot slow fade out little distortion look?