Thread: Tripod head or adapter plate for manfrotto with cambo scx 8x10

Tripod head or adapter plate for manfrotto with cambo scx 8x10

Hi guys, I recently took a Cambo SCX 8x10 out on the streets for some portraits. I use a Manfrotto 028 Tripod which is pretty heavy duty, but the 029 head, or at least the adapter plate was totally inadequate for the weight and weight distribution of the cambo, so I don't have to wade through the entire Manfrotto catalogue is their either a plate of some kind which will fit on the 029 head to give ma larger contact area, or a recommended tripod head to use with the 028 tripod which will be sufficent for the weight and size of the cambo, I moved the tripod and camera at one point and the whole thing came crashing down

thanks

Damian

Re: Tripod head or adapter plate for manfrotto with cambo scx 8x10

I always used the 3047 head (no plate) with my 4x5 SCX and it seemed to have stability to spare. I don't know if there is an adapter plate system that I would trust as being heavy duty enough for the 8x10 version. Since I sold that tripod, I now use a Majestic whith my SCX in the field. That's the same tripod I use with much heavier 8x10's like my Ansco Universal and my Kodak Master.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I always used the 3047 head (no plate) with my 4x5 SCX and it seemed to have stability to spare. I don't know if there is an adapter plate system that I would trust as being heavy duty enough for the 8x10 version. Since I sold that tripod, I now use a Majestic whith my SCX in the field. That's the same tripod I use with much heavier 8x10's like my Ansco Universal and my Kodak Master.
    thanks I had a look, the 3047 looks like an older version of the 029 which is what I'm using, perhaps I could amend the original question and ask, is there a hex adapter or longer screw than cane be used with said adapter as part of the problem seemed to be that the hex adapters screw didnt go far enough into the base of the scx

many thanks

Once upon a time Manfrotto made a hex plate with a 4X4" mounting plate.
    I glanced at the Manfrotto site & didn't see it still listed. Might have to look across the bay(sigh)

It wouldn't be hard to attach a 3/16" thick plate to your current hex plate to mimic the original item, there are a couple of holes in the plate already it wouldn't be hard to drill & tap the aluminum & fasten them.