Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article on Big Berthas (long lens SLRs built, usually, around a Graflex SLR)

Article on Big Berthas (long lens SLRs built, usually, around a Graflex SLR)

I made a Baby Bertha (long lens SLR built around a 2x3 RB Series B). An account of the adventure has just been published on the French large format forum in English and in French. See:

http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html (English)

http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-fr.html (French)

Re: Article on Big Berthas (long lens SLRs built, usually, around a Graflex SLR)

I really enjoyed that, Dan, thanks for the link.

Robert

Re: Article on Big Berthas (long lens SLRs built, usually, around a Graflex SLR)

Thanks, Dan, much useful information for some of my rainy day projects.

It's strangely comforting to know that beneath all those authoritative posts lies a kernal of pure insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    It's strangely comforting to know that beneath all those authoritative posts lies a kernal of pure insanity.
    One doesn't have to be crazy, but it helps a lot.

Interestingly - there are no photos he actually took with his contraptions

Dr T, I shot one roll of E6 after I had the beastling together and stabilized, looked once at the processed film, measured the area covered, looked hard at the RB, and bailed out. My test shots aren't pretty, I took them to test the complete system for function. After it flunked I didn't see the point of wasting more film or of trying to take pretty 6x6 shots.

Full frame or nothing, my motto, unless I'm shooting my little 38/4.5 Biogon. With it, nearly full frame 6x9 (corners missing) is ok.

Cheers,

Dan

I love a crazy project as much as ..probably more than..most people.. but I do usually have some reason in mind first

hand held 8x10 for street photography - yeah.. I woulda had to have been charles atlas...
    8x8 camera built to fit in a grocery cart for taking pix of store displays (Hint - store managers weren't keen on the idea)

stuff like that

I'm interested in what you wanted to use it for..

I'm fascinated by the big bertha cameras as well. I've got a working RB, 24" aero ektar, but would need black pipe and focusing hardware. I don't have time is the main problem, but it's still fascinating. Meanwhile I use the camera as intended. Thanks.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Planning to shoot some baseball with a 5x7 Big Bertha sometime this year here in Utah. It is one of the cameras that photographed the World Series in the early '50's. It's an AMAZING camera.