Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Traditional vs Digital?

Re: Traditional vs Digital?

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    Of course I will try it and find out. But since I am part of a forum full of professional photographers, and photographers that actually print from scanned large format negatives, I thought it would be nice to hear their opinions. After all, isn't that why we are here?
    Sigh... Fine. What you'll see, is two prints from two completely different processes. Each will have strengths, each will have weaknesses. Which one you like better will depend on your image, your preferences, and your purpose. Yours in the only opinion that matters when it comes to your prints; don't be afraid to have one.

Bruce Watson

I was reading and reminded about a utube video I saw where the hp media labs had used a designjet z2100 i think ti "print" a negative. now I have had almost no expierence with the traditional developing process, my husband did for a long time work the one hour labs fro walmart. but I like the ides of using the new tech, to augment a traditional process. at least in my mind it's fun to try. let me introduce myself My name is Amy Lingle, I am a photographer from Michigan's southwest, it's fruit and farm country. I've lived here my whole life, and curently raising my family here. I launched my website twm months ago, and would appreciate any constructive criticism, that is how I learn the best, the address is http://www.linglestudios.com check out my work, and I look forward to any tips, or advice you all are willing to give.

welcome to the forum!

Large format photography can be a daunting prospect to consider undertaking.. but if you get hooked.. you're hooked for life. I don't think Walmart will process 4x5 film, so you'll probably end up having to get in touch with the analog processes & darkroom work.. unless you plan on sending the film out to a 'professional' lab. There are a number that can be found online.. and i'm sure people here will help you with selections.

Do you have a camera already? (if not.. i'm sure there are also opinions here on cameras with a wide spectrum of cost .. i'd recommend used though until you know it's something that you'd continue with)

anyway.. welcome to the forum, and looking forward to seeing some of your new work posted here!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by linglestudios View Post
    I was reading and reminded about a utube video I saw where the hp media labs had used a designjet z2100 i think ti "print" a negative. now I have had almost no expierence with the traditional developing process, my husband did for a long time work the one hour labs fro walmart. but I like the ides of using the new tech, to augment a traditional process. at least in my mind it's fun to try. let me introduce myself My name is Amy Lingle, I am a photographer from Michigan's southwest, it's fruit and farm country. I've lived here my whole life, and curently raising my family here. I launched my website twm months ago, and would appreciate any constructive criticism, that is how I learn the best, the address is http://www.linglestudios.com check out my work, and I look forward to any tips, or advice you all are willing to give.

B&W Inkjet print can look more or less beautiful than darkroom prints, and if the right printer and paper are used and especially if a print is framed under glass, sometimes the only hint of difference is the lack of creases!

And for the people who really want to do make a 360 degree loop, you can even output a computer post processed files on real fiber paper in at least 3 ways:

1) send to a shop that will project to silver paper using a digital LED enlarger. I did a 16x20 test and it looks fine enough, although truth be told, I prefer the inkjet printed output better (this is a scanned Mamiya 7II file).

2) print to a transparency (digital negative) and then contact print in dark room. Requires special software to determine the right curves.

3) make a 4x5 internegative and then print in the darkroom using enlarger. Peter Turnley just had a print sales from his Leica Monochrom (digitial) B&W files using this technique.

I am actually somewhat interested in #3, but not sure who provides that service.