Thread: 8x10 Camera Bag or Two Cases of Beer???

8x10 Camera Bag or Two Cases of Beer???

While shopping today with the wife at Costco, I went looking for the insulated tote bag mentioned by John Kasaian in an earlier post. While there, I ran across a 50 can collapsible cooler that came with a rolling cart attached made by the same company John had mentioned in his post. Looking at it I thought it might also be a great bag for 8x10 film holders or maybe even hold my 8x10 camera. Against my wife's ardent protests that the bag was too small I forked out the $24.00 and figured at worst I would have cold storage for the two cases of beer that would be keeping me company out back in the doghouse, away from the "I told you so's" that would certainly be coming my way. Well, low and behold, the bag exceeded my expectations. Not only did it fit my 8x10 Zone VI, it will also hold 4 - 8x10 film holders, dark cloth, light meter and misc. filters. I can probably even fit my G-Claron Casket set in there somewhere. So now instead of making multiple trips from the Jeep with a Pelican case for the camera, Tamrac bag for lenses and filters, and another tote for film holders, I now have it all in a great compact wheeled case that cost next to nothing!

Well, I for one am happy that you won two ways. For 24 bucks I'd get another one and have the little woman tote that there beer.

What's a G-Claron Casket set?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

But will it hold all of your photo gear and a six of beer?

"What's a G-Claron Casket set?"
    Bill,
    I have one Copal#1 Shutter and use front & rear elements from 210mm, 240mm, & 305mm G-Clarons, that came in barrel mounts. I then just screw in the elements for the focal length I want to use. I also mix and match the elements to come up with six different focal lengths. They are: 210, 228, 240, 255, 278 and 305. I place the stronger element in the front and the weaker in the rear. I have also been playing with using a single element on the rear with orange filter up front giving me approximately 390mm, 455mm, & 575mm. Quality with the single elements is Ok on 8x10, as for now I only contact print them. One of these day's I will get around to getting some enlargements done. I usually don't use the single element if I have one of my longer lenses along, but if I am traveling light and don't want to miss the shot I'll use it.
    Greg

Greg; The case you can have forever, the beer you only rent.

Greg, here's a question for you:

Will you bring the two cases of beer to Joshua Tree next spring since you won't need them in the dog house? (Corona Lights please!)

("at worst I would have cold storage for the two cases of beer that would be keeping me company out back in the doghouse.")

That's not a casket set, and just by virtue of that alone you should buy beer.

Chad, I remember reading that it was called a casket set because of the shape of the box they came in. But, if you are in Joshua Tree NP next spring I'll buy.