Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadians, where do you buy your 8x10 film?

Canadians, where do you buy your 8x10 film?

This is directed mostly to canadians that use 8x10 film.

I bought my first pack of 8x10 film from Freestyle photo a while ago and fedex delivered it pretty fast and i was extremely happy that they didnt ask for customs tax and brokerage fees. then 2 weekslater i got a letter from FEDEX canada saying that i owe them C$21 for customs fees. I called them up and told them that there is no way on this earth that i was paying that money since i wasn't informed during the delivery and if i was, i would tell them to send the package back to where it came from. They understood my complaint and didnt ask for the payment.

Last week i was about to place another order on freestyle and just as i was checkingout i saw the little note saying ;

"Duties Notice: You are responsible for all duties, customs, and brokerage fees associated with your order. If you refuse to pay the carrier or the carrier's agent for these charges, Freestyle will charge your credit card for all amounts billed to Freestyle by the carrier or the carrier's agent."

I was a little choked since my next order was gonna be $100+ and the fees would probably be around C$50. So i canceled my order and started looking around.

Film here in Canada is extremely expensive. C$100+ for ilford line of 8x10 film. arista.edu fits my budget very nicely.

Does any one in canada experienced something similar with JandCphotos? Their JandC Pro film seems to be similar to Arista.edu which basically is a fortepan..

How do you canadians get your big film?

Eight Elm photo in Toronto carries Fortepan 200 and 400 in 8x10 (25) sizes for C$75 which equals to $55 usd (Arista.edu is $34 and its the same film as fortepan)

So here is my dilemma.. I am on budget and i want 8x10 film...

help me out, please.. thank you

Deniz

Doug Dolde

That's the price you pay not to live in George W. Bushland. I wouldn't complain and would get out of Bushland if I could.

Hi Deniz,

Two points:-

Local: I buy my 8x10 film from Michael Chan at Eight Elm and my local camera store can order Tri-X from Kodak if you buy enough boxes !! I have also bought HP5+ in 25 sheet boxes from Vistek.

Shipping: You should ask whomever you order your film from to ship via United States Postal Service. Cross border shipments are very economical.

UPS - will charge an arm and a leg especially brokerage fees - AVOID !!!

FedEx - have a more reasonable brokerage fee, but will still charge you GST and PST after the fact (most of the time).

USPS/Purolator - have a very reasonable brokerage fee, but will also charge the taxes after the fact.

I have had some of my shipments from FedEx come in without any subsequent tax or brokerage billing. I think it really depends on Customs and Revenue Canada. If they flag a package, then FedEx has to charge the taxes etc., if they don't you don't get charged.

Another 'funny', if you order something and it enters Canada in say Vancouver then makes its way to Ontario, they won't charge PST. If it enters in Toronto, you have to pay both.

In conlcusion, whenever you order anything across the border I think it's reasonable to expect that you'll be charged the taxes and a small brokerage fee. C'est la vie.

Good luck !!

There's a few online outfits, like Harry's Pro Shop.

I have the good fortune (snicker) to live near Winnipeg and find Don's Photo (warehouse) prices aren't too far out of line. I know Don's does a lot of mail order for out of town pros, so you might try giving them a call.

I dabble in 4x5, not 8x10, but I haven't stumped them very often.

Deniz, unless you can find an international supplier that will declare your shipments at a value less than CDN$20, you are going to end up paying taxes and brokerage. UPS is particularly expensive (upward sliding brokerage rates + COD fee + 15% tax) payable on receipt of the shipment, FedEx is a bit better than UPS brokerage wise (and you will be billed several days later). Canada Post is the cheapest ($5 handling fee + 15% taxes) but also the slowest and the thought of a $80 box of film roasting in the back of a mail truck makes me cringe. Unless you have a family member in the UK who can send you film "gifts", be prepared to pay. Regards,

I buy my film here in Montreal. Photoservice keeps HP5+ and TMax 100 in stock, as well a Polaroid 809. The box of 25 sheets of HP5+ is sold for 73 canadian dollars, which is competitive with all US prices for the same stuff. It remains expensive, though, and I admit that I'm sometimes tempted by Arista.EDU.

Even though they don't have an online store, I know that they ship stuff on demand.

J&C ships to Canada by airmail. Or at least they did. The only thing I could complain about is they declared it at more then the order was worth. No idea why. That caused me to get hit by higher taxes. Doesn't freestyle still offer airmail if you ask? A few months ago somebody mentioned Treck hall [Various locations in Canada] had good prices on sheet film. I haven't ask so can't say.

I get 8x10 HP5+ from Beau photo in Vancouver. You could also try The Camera Store in Calgary. <julian@thecamerastore.com> Julian said he would give me a 10% discount. Great thing about ordering from Alberta? No PST! Go Flames Go!!

Andrew- I was in Beau Photo just the other day and asked Serena(film lady) about 8x10 film and she said ilford would take 3-4 weeks to come in. fastest she could get in is kodak films. she said she orders film from jandc all the time and told me to do the same for 8x10 film. Well i said "i am here already so i should buy something" so bought 50sheets of Efke 25 4x5 ...

I have a boyhood friend who now lives in Switzerland. Last Christmas I gave him a 35mm film scanner. (Poor lost soul) He gave me a check!