Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Processing

4x5 Processing

Is there any 4x5 processing alternatives to the tray or the dipping method? I'm considering purchasing a JOBO CP-A2 via e-bay. Thanks Mike

Octogenarian

4x5 Processing

Hi Michael,

See my article, "Developing 4X5 Sheet Film- An Alternative Method", under the Developing and Processing section of the home page of this website. (www.largeformatphotography.info/alternative-developing/).

4x5 Processing

The Combi-Plan T

4x5 Processing

Depending on how much film you process, you may want to look into BTZS tubes. It's cheap to set yourself up, and cheap to use. 2 oz. of developer per 4x5. With D-76 1+1 that's 128 4x5's for 6 bucks. OK, so really about 100 with spillage. Go beat that. And, the negs are very smooth.

Downside, you can only do six at a time.

4x5 Processing

I strongly second Bob and Eugene, from four decades of commercial experience.

In this insane hyper-technical age, where everyone requires a button to push for every phase of life, Jobo-like machines have a certain fascination. Bob Hope used to talk about his car, the dashboard of which was covered with buttons. He even had a button which when you pushed it, pushed you back. It helped make you feel wanted.

Jobo machines’ claim to fame is excellent temperature and agitation consistency, absolute requirements for color work. But (in my professional opinion) overkill for black and white work.

An HP tank or a tank with stainless hangers will never break down, never become obsolete, will never quit in the middle of an important run because of a power failure.

How much do you need to complicate your life?

Read Eugene’s article on the other side of this website. He’s right on.

4x5 Processing

I use a Jobo 2521 tank. It has a magnetic base which I presume is for mounting it in a mechanized processor, but I just fill and agitate by hand. I used Yankee tanks and hangers for awhile and didn't particularly care for that method - dinged a few negs by bumping hanger corners and occassionally suffered uneven development around the edges of the hangers. The Jobo tank holds six sheets of 4x5 and requires about 1.4 liters of chemistry to fill. I like it. Never had a problem with uneven development and it allows me to keep the same work flow I got used to processing 35 mm.

Chris

4x5 Processing

After one experience of developing 4x5 negs in trays, I said to myself "there's gotta be a better way".

IMO, Combi-Plan, Doran, Yankee type tanks use a lot of chemistry.

Trays mean a lot of time in pitch darkness and fingers in the soup.

BTZS can have problems clearing the anti-halation layer on the film.

The Jobo uses 500mL of chemistry for ten sheets of 4x5 (in an Expert 3010 drum) and processes them evenly, quickly and cleanly. Transfer of chemistry is very easy with the lift unit.

Using a Jobo CPP or CPA isn't a press a button and walk away operation (the ATL units are like this I believe), so it's not laziness on my part, but it gives me consistent agitation and even dispersal of developer.

Temperature control is excellent, the first time I used my Jobo was the first time I realised that my $60 dollar tray temperature guage was over reading by five degrees ! No wonder my tray development sucked !!!

I have very little room to use as a darkroom and the Jobo system allows me the most efficient use of space. I put mine in the bath when processing. I'm also a klutz in the dark, so the less time I'm in pitch black with open chemicals around the better !!

I should make it clear that I've been developing for a few months, not a few years (or even decades) like the more learned posters above.

Cheers ...

4x5 Processing

After one experience of developing 4x5 negs in trays, I said to myself "there's gotta be a better way".

Practice. After ten experiences of developing sheet film in trays, it does get better, and it gives you a certain degree of flexibility that you don't have with jobo or daylight tanks (though you do with tank/hangar systems), if you use the zone system and want to process for different processing times all in the same batch.

I use both trays and a Nikor tank, depending on the size of the batch. For 8x10" and larger I only use trays.

4x5 Processing

I don't think there is a clear-cut answer to your question, Michael. Some of us prefer to use trays, others swear by BTZS tubes (or homemade equivalents), and others tout the advantages of their Jobos. It depends on what your personal preferences are, your working style, along with what, and how much you process.

There is a lot of good information here in the archives about the different Jobo models, and how to use them. I'd suggest doing your research before purchasing any particular unit.

FWIW, I use trays for both 4x5 and 8x10 B&W (8x10 trays for 4x5, 11x14 trays for 8x10) and love my time in the dark. But, I'm now fairly spacially-aware in the dark - meaning I can find my way around in total darkness easily. I just think of it as my occasional trip into the world of the blind - something good for the soul. ;-)

4x5 Processing

Unicolor 8x10 (print) tank holds up to 4, 4x5 negs. Used on a Uniroller autoreversing motor base. I use 300ML of d-76 1:1 per four negs. Bought on Epay for around $40.00. Plug it into a Gray Lab timer.