Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repromaster 150mm covergae

Repromaster 150mm covergae

I sometimes find people claming that the Repromaster 150mm/9 will almost cover 8x10 at infinity, with a little vignetting in the outmost corners, although there is no information given regarding the f-stop for which this might apply.
    Does someone here happen to have this lens and and use it on an 8x10" camera? I could live with dark corners as long as it isn't a "keyhole" effect with just a circle being illuminated on 8x10".

I know there are many alternatives in this FL-range for 8x10" but i have been offered a 150mm Repromaster, so I'm curious.

Also: Is this lens identical (in optical terms) to the 150mm G-Claron?
    Matthias

Re: Repromaster 150mm covergae

It's very similar to a G-Claron, yes. Not sure of the coverage, you might need the 9/210 to cover 8x10, I'm not sure is there is a 180, I've heard it mentioned but never seen one for sale. The reason the Helioprint/Repromaster/Ultragon lenses are not more widely used and sell so cheap is that unlike the G-Claron, they are hard to put in a shutter. There are at least two different versions of the 9/150, don't know if they are optically different but they have different barrels.

Thank you, Ian!

I guess i'll have to do my own testing. I can get the 150/9 for little money, so i can probably sell it without loss. It would be a nice Lens for my diy wide-angle camera, if it covers.
    If not, i won't have much use for it because i already own a 150mm and a 180mm for smaller formats.
    Matthias

Good luck Matthias, sounds like an interesting project.

Hmm. I thought I put up a reply, but it isn't here. Helioprint/Repromaster/Ultragon lenses were all made by Staeble, Agfa's captive lens maker. They're not G-Clarons, internet nonsense notwithstanding.

They're also not wide angle lenses. There are no 90 degree process lenses, and that's the angle a 150 mm lens has to cover to just cover 8x10.

There's a lot of nonsense on the internet about process lenses' coverage, some due to confusion between "cover" and "illuminate," some due to misreading of manufacturers' coverage claims. Process lenses' claimed circles covered are often at 1:1, i.e., twice the circle covered at infinity. On that point, see the absolutely silly coverage claims for Apo- and Process-Nikkors on http://homepage2.nifty.com/akiyanroom/redbook-e/

I have one of these somewhere and I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover. Not sure when I'll get a chance to dig it out and check it though...

Dan, i think you're right about that, but depending on the type of falloff and the amount of vignetting i *could* live with insufficient coverage/illumination as the camera will be some kind of fix-focus point & shoot 8x10" WA cam.

So the Lens will be stopped down to f/22-f/45 (depending on light and film speed) and focused to hyperfocal distance, which should be somewhere around 5 meters, given that i only do contact prints in 8x10" (and depending on which dof-calculator one uses).

Dave, it would be great if you could post a picture of the lens when you get the chance, so i could at least check if it is the same type as the one i'm being offered.
    Matthias

(Shrek)

I have the normal 150 and the 2 210s (normal and wide angle), the only one I've used on 8x10 is the 210WA. If I get a chance tomorrow I can stick the 150 on the camera and have a look, but I'm 99% certain it won't come close to covering. If you're going to use one of these, I do recommend the 210/9 wide angle, it is a very good lens and usually dirt cheap. I don't know what the image circle is, but I've used quite a lot of movements with it.

I have several repromasters with focal lengths going from 135mm to 210mm (they all came from Agfa bromide copy cameras much used by graphic artists/designers in the 1980s). I have used them as enlarger lenses - a task for which they seem ideally suited.
    I have always thought these to be absolutely first class lenses.
    On a De Vere 5108 10x8 enlarger the 210 f8 definitely covers 10x8 negatives. I am pretty sure that the 150mm will almost cover 10x8, but to be honest I can't really remember. I used to use it to make enlarged contact prints from 35mm negatives.
    However I do now have a 10x8 camera, and although it may take a little bit of fiddling to get the 150 into the camera I will give it a try and report back. these lenses had huge coverage as copy camera lenses, so it is not out of the question.

Enlarging requires less coverage than taking.