Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focusing Loupe Question

Re: Focusing Loupe Question

My wife purchased me a Peak Lupe #2038 http://www.peakoptics.com/index.php?...roducts_id=103 . Comes with a clear skirt for use on a light table and a solid skirt for use on the ground glass. Works great and the focus is adjustable
    Questions and comments are always welcome

8thsamurai

Quote Originally Posted by Yo' Vinny View Post
    Will it work with the hood on the Chamonix 045N-2. The image below shows the extension. I haven't gotten out the ruler, but it looks like it is about 8 inches from the back edge to the glass. The viewing slot is somewhat narrow making it hard to hold the loupe as well. Can you use the loupe as a magnifier, not actually touching the glass then? Maybe having it about two inches from the glass...kind of like a mini-binocular for one eye?

Attachment 93804
    I use a Hening 6x loupe on my Chamonix. It fits under the focusing hood but not very well, there just isn't enough space to hold the loupe against the gg firmly. I suppose you could cut a few inches off the hood if you really want to use a loupe with it. Personally I only use the hood in good light when I know there will be enough dof to carry any slight focus error.

FWIW I use a 6x Silvestri and really like using it. But I also use a focusing cloth on the 8x10 and the 5x7 Speeder has a hood.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think it depends a little on what you are shooting. For a portrait I use this method too, but those are usually shot in quite dim conditions and even looking at the GG is sometimes somewhat possible without a cloth. With landscapes it rarely works with my Rodenstock 4x Aspheric loupe. The problem with landscapes is that when you use tilts and swings, you change the focus and thus the composition quite a bit, so you end up under the dark cloth in the end anyway. Seeing something in my loupe while it is bright out is almost impossible without using shielding the light in some way, you could try it with a hat, or holding your dark cloth on the side. The dark nozzle doesn't create a good enough seal for me to use it as is.