Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tools for zone focusing

tools for zone focusing

As my vision get worse with age, I've been mulling ways I can get sharp focus that don't depend on the sharpness of my own eyes. Autofocus is an obvious candidate, but just as obviously isn't an option in the LF world, or even much of an option in MF. (I don't know of anything bigger than 6x4.5cm that has autofocus. Am I overlooking something?)

A more traditional -- not to mention, cheaper -- approach would, of course, be zone focus. Which brings me to my question. What tools are there for getting accurate distance measurements?

A tape measure works over short distances, of course, and even over medium distances, depending on how big the tape measure is and whether or not you can get to the subject. My next thought was one of those rangefinders like golfers and shooters use. After looking into them a bit, though, I've been pretty disappointed with their precision. Some of the high-end models ($400+) have [claimed] precision almost down to the inch, but the rest usually don't claim anything more accurate that +/-3 feet.

That would be okay if you're working with sufficient DOF, but that's pretty limiting. What have you guys used to get accurate subject distances? Are there devices like this that are designed for photography? (Googling any combination of "rangefinder" and any photography term produces RF cameras, of course.)
    SINAR F+ 4x5 wearing a Fujinon 150/5.6 W

Re: tools for zone focusing

I doubt that your eyes are worse than mine - uncorrectable to 20/20. I cope by using two good loupes, a 4X and 8X. Anything more powerful than 8X is worse for me on my particular ground glasses. So, try a couple different magnifications.

Also look into Aerial Focusing right here on this site at: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...erial-focusing

Separate, optical rangefinders intended for cameras exist, but are usually old and dark or broken. Regardless, you would have to mark the rail(s) on a large format camera to translate the rangefinder to the camera, and for that you need to focus on the glass to make the marks the first time. See the two suggestions above.

Hyperfocal techniques do not make it for LF, at least for me. If you use movements, it's almost impossible.

You might consider using a rangefinder LF (largely limited to 5x4 max). The Linhof Super Technika, some Graflex, and my Printex use RF focusing.

Big Negs Rock!

There's a company, Cinematography Electronics, that make an electronic tape for cinematography applications. Very pricey and very accurate. My assistant made one and used it on features I shot and his worked quite well. He made his (total geek) but you could buy the CEI electronic tape.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I doubt that your eyes are worse than mine - uncorrectable to 20/20. I cope by using two good loupes, a 4X and 8X. Anything more powerful than 8X is worse for me on my particular ground glasses. So, try a couple different magnifications.

Also look into Aerial Focusing right here on this site at: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...erial-focusing

Separate, optical rangefinders intended for cameras exist, but are usually old and dark or broken. Regardless, you would have to mark the rail(s) on a large format camera to translate the rangefinder to the camera, and for that you need to focus on the glass to make the marks the first time. See the two suggestions above.

Hyperfocal techniques do not make it for LF, at least for me. If you use movements, it's almost impossible.

You might consider using a rangefinder LF (largely limited to 5x4 max). The Linhof Super Technika, some Graflex, and my Printex use RF focusing.
    Thanks for the info, Jac. That thread is really fascinating, in a totally geeked out kind of way. And I've been keeping my eye on the RF Graflexes on the bay, for that very reason; my little Leica IIIf can be extremely easy to focus, even in quite low light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    There's a company, Cinematography Electronics, that make an electronic tape for cinematography applications. Very pricey and very accurate. My assistant made one and used it on features I shot and his worked quite well. He made his (total geek) but you could buy the CEI electronic tape.
    Gadzooks! Looks like an incredibly powerful too, Mark, but $7k is a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

"(I don't know of anything bigger than 6x4.5cm that has autofocus. Am I overlooking something?)"
    Rollei 6x6 6008 AF. Hasselblad did offer a couple of rudimentary AF lenses in the 60s. Rollei HY6 cameras.

Big Negs Rock!

I should've mentioned that you sit down before reading my post. ;-)
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    "(I don't know of anything bigger than 6x4.5cm that has autofocus. Am I overlooking something?)"
    Rollei 6x6 6008 AF. Hasselblad did offer a couple of rudimentary AF lenses in the 60s. Rollei HY6 cameras.
    Thanks, Bob. I had forgotten about the 6008. Replacement battery/charger availability has always scared me away from those.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    I should've mentioned that you sit down before reading my post. ;-)
    No kidding. For the amount of time I spend shooting, I could hire an assistant at that price and have them focus for me (then go hold lights, reflectors, keep the riff-raff away, etc.). Let's see the CEI do that!

Quote Originally Posted by barnninny View Post
    Thanks, Bob. I had forgotten about the 6008. Replacement battery/charger availability has always scared me away from those.
    The 6008 operates off of a battery that has been available for decades. It might be dedicated to the cameras but they are around, as are the chargers. There is also aa AA option (which I would not rely on). And most modern digital and most analog SLR and smaller cameras use dedicated batteries today anyway. So do a lot of current MF cameras as well. Even the 45 Linhof Aero Technika EL used dedicated batteries if not used on aircraft current.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The 6008 operates off of a battery that has been available for decades. It might be dedicated to the cameras but they are around, as are the chargers. There is also aa AA option (which I would not rely on).
    Really? Everything I've ever heard about the dedicated ones and the chargers is that they're rare as hen's teeth.