Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gossen Luna Pro

Gossen Luna Pro

I have a GLP. I want to know if it's working properly. For that, my friend loaned me his Sekonic L-358. I want to compare the two to see if they give me the same reading on a subject. Problem is, I've never used a Sekonic (or any digital meter for that matter). How do you get a Sekonic to do an incident reading (which is what I do with my GLP). Thanks.

My meter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gossen-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	93517
    Last edited by macandal; 17-Apr-2013 at 13:18. Reason: Added photo of Gossen Luna Pro
    --Mario

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Gossen Luna Pro

Slide the white hemisphere over the cell and point at subject while pressing the "measure" lever in whichever range is appropriate for your light level. Then it is the same as with reflected light measurement: When reading has been obtained, release lever to lock the needle. Read the number and transfer to the dial (as with reflected reading) using hte yellow diamond. Read the calculator to obtain EV and/or equivelent shutter speed and aperture combinations.

Oh, sorry. mis-read your message. That is how you do incident with Luna Pro (illustrated) You seem to already know that.

With Sekonic, it should be same process though. Doesn't your Sekonic have a white hemisphere to cover the meter cell? My L-558 does.

Are you asking how to do an incident reading with the Sekonic? Which I thought was an incident meter? For the Luna Pro (great meter) you slide the dome over the photo cell window and point it back at the camera position, so you are measuring the light falling on the subject. Do the same thing with the Sekonic?

Or better yet, send the Luna Pro to Quality Light Metric, they will calibrate it and set it up for modern batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Slide the white hemisphere over the cell and point at subject while pressing the "measure" lever in whichever range is appropriate for your light level.
    Ok. I don't slide the dome over the cell. I slide it to the side, in other words, away from the cell so as not to cover it?
    --Mario

If the dome is off to the side, the meter is reading reflected light coming off the subject. If you want an incident reading, you slide the dome over the mirrored appearing hole that has the photocell behind it. Point the meter toward the camera position and now you are reading the light falling on the subject. Which should, in theory, match an 18% reflective card if you were using it as a reflected meter.

I apologize. I got gloriously confused. Yes, I do a reflected reading. I move the dome to the side, point my meter to the subject (i.e., a person, a structure, etc) and get my reading. My apologies.
    --Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Are you asking how to do an incident reading with the Sekonic? Which I thought was an incident meter? For the Luna Pro (great meter) you slide the dome over the photo cell window and point it back at the camera position, so you are measuring the light falling on the subject. Do the same thing with the Sekonic?

Or better yet, send the Luna Pro to Quality Light Metric, they will calibrate it and set it up for modern batteries.
    Kevin, I agree with you. The GLP is a great meter. I'm trying to see if it's working properly, that's why I want to compare it with my friend's Sekonic to see if they get the same readings. And it was reflected light that I wanted to know how to do with the Sekonic. Is the dome up (protruding) or down (hiding)? And then, is the dome part, whether is up or down, pointing at the subject? This is the part I didn't know if I was doing right. Because of the position of the dome, it seems like I'm doing it wrong when I point it to something (a person, a grey card, etc). That's what I meant. Thanks.
    --Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Point the meter toward the camera position and now you are reading the light falling on the subject.
    OMG... you must think me an idiot. (or one could always use a term used previously: "gloriously confused".)

I got that exactly ass-backward in my post... which I will now correct. Yes, I know what I am doing when I do it... I just seem to ahve dyslexia when describing it. Thanks, Kevin.